metal with design on it

donkarlos

Sep 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Sov gt, Ctx
This could be 2-3 hundred years old, but maybe not! Seems to be copper or brass. Was thinking a seal to a bottle but it tapers. Found in wooded area with wagon trails, etc.

ForumRunner_20121016_152830.png

ForumRunner_20121016_152959.png

I will wait till the experts chime in, but to me it looks like copper trim that probably would have been mounted to wood. I found several feet of some very beautifully ornate copper trim in England this summer similar to yours. I'll try to post some pics later.

Upvote 0
Yeah seems like it was on wood or leather. Fancy, but not cheap looking-fancy.
Upon furthur inspection, it seems to be a single piece with six or seven hearts that get consecutively smaller. In each heart is a flower or blossom of some sort, like corn or acorn. There are no holes in it, so it must have been fastened with the fold-over to pinch whatever on the back side. It was rolled up slightly more than pictured, but when I try to unroll it, the metal starts to crack. One small crack shows a copper colour inside, yet the outside isn't greenish at all.
It was buried about 6" deep.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Erik in NJ said:
I will wait till the experts chime in, but to me it looks like copper trim that probably would have been mounted to wood. I found several feet of some very beautifully ornate copper trim in England this summer similar to yours. I'll try to post some pics later.

So, what kind of wood would it decorate, do you think?

Upvote 0
You know, it might in fact be just that. I did find it alone out in the woods along a wagon road. But, who knows where half this stuff gets where it does?

Upvote 0
maybe one of these, Victorian molding hook I'm told/

Attachments

• NH FINDS 05-05 007.jpg
    NH FINDS 05-05 007.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 118
  • NH FINDS 05-05 008.jpg
    NH FINDS 05-05 008.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 120
Upvote 0
Very nice looking. I think mine is bigger than that, but who knows. Not sure how to clean it

Upvote 0
My thought (and just a thought) is that it is some sort of decoration for a trunk/luggage. Maybe?

Keep us posted....

HH,
Anita

Upvote 0
Wow, that's definitely it. Makes sense being tapered, and the length as well. Amazing. Thanks all!

Upvote 0
I think it is to flimsy for a hook, and I have never seen any with rolled edges.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back