image-2569619942.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 105
  • image-889036947.jpg
    image-889036947.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 88
  • image-3199755422.jpg
    image-3199755422.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 94
Looks like an old felling wedge .. modern ones are made of plastic or fiberglass

Upvote 0
It looks pitted as if it were ferrous material with some corrosion. Agree with Mud Hut though that it looks a lot like a wedge.

Upvote 0
Old time falling wedges were made out of Magnesium. Local loggers were notorious for burning forest service locks off using a falling wedge. I don't know what they did to get the wedge to burning, I'm just repeating stories, from old time loggers.

Upvote 0
Old time falling wedges were made out of Magnesium. Local loggers were notorious for burning forest service locks off using a falling wedge. I don't know what they did to get the wedge to burning, I'm just repeating stories, from old time loggers.

I think you can still buy magnesium felling wedges

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-12-10 at 8.06.19 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-12-10 at 8.06.19 PM.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 114
Upvote 0
That looks like a wedge for securing a hammer, pick or ax head, etc, those v shaped lines are what I remember and it is too small for a felling wedge.

Upvote 0
....it is too small for a felling wedge.

Not really .. What's left of it is a bit over 4 inches long .. the one I posted above is 5 inches.
The wedges for securing wooden handles are barely over an inch long.

Upvote 0
That is for a baby hamner Mud Hut, I have used wood, and various metal wedges to repair sledge hammers to matox picks, we drive the wedge to set it then if needed cut off any extra.

Upvote 0
Felling wedge. It doesn't take much to open the kerf when cutting a tree down. I have found felling wedges that small, different styles, not magnesium. These would be iron wedges the old lumbermen used.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back