metal end of a pike? file or some farm implement? what is it?

CAP

Jun 6, 2003
Hometown USA
Detector(s) used
XLT, ATPro, Tesoro Silver S., White's TM 800, Makro MultiKruzer, XP Deus II, Nokta Pulse Dive
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With some land clearing and construction going on at a site that had been rumored to have once been a small Confederate camp or muster ground, my son and I headed out to the place to see if the piled up topsoil had anything that would indicate such. We immediately eyeballed the complete skeleton of an old wagon on top of a mixed pile of stumps. A curved blade of a sort stuck out of the dirtpile on the other side. I momentarily savored the thought that it could be a sword. Then I pulled it out to realize it was an old sythe. With the metal detector we found the object pictured below. At first I thought it was a knife but upon closer inspection I'm guessing it's either a homemade pike or some kind of file for sharpening axes and saws and such. Any suggestions?

Chris

Attachments

• 000_0660.JPG
    000_0660.JPG
    27.9 KB · Views: 263
  • pic_1.jpg
    pic_1.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 267
It looks kinda like a lathe woodworking tool . Or a mortise chisel , Nice find !

Upvote 0
Thanks guys!

chris

Upvote 0
Depending on the area, it could by a metal end to a set of pikes around a fort or possibly a lightning rod

HH
-GC

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back