Metal detectors for cache hunting

BIlly Joe Bob

Greenie
May 27, 2024
Hello! I am going to be searching for caches of gold (usually in strongboxes) and am in need of metal detector suggestions. Some caches may be fairly deep so I’m wondering about metal detectors with good depth range. I am on a budget and am looking for something below or around 500 dollars. Has anyone had problems buying used? Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Hello! I am going to be searching for caches of gold (usually in strongboxes) and am in need of metal detector suggestions. Some caches may be fairly deep so I’m wondering about metal detectors with good depth range. I am on a budget and am looking for something below or around 500 dollars. Has anyone had problems buying used? Any suggestions?
What depth you talking about
6" or 6'?

I don't think you're going to find much that will go 6 feet deep for $500.

I don't think you're going to find much that will go 6 feet deep for $500.
More like 6" unless a he gets a good deal on a used one.
Now for a 2 box detector he's going to have double the $500.
Even for this Fisher.
20ft+
Screenshot_20240527_210931_Chrome.jpg

Best bet is the Nokta Invenio, but you're looking between $5-7k. Or XP's Xtreme Hunter. But you need to have a Deus 2 to use that so maybe $2500.

If the strong boxes are made of steel or similar ferrous material a magnetic locator would be a good bet. They can't find gold but they find ferrous materials up to 10' away or more in some cases. The cheapest new ones I've seen are in the $500-600 range though I have found some used ones for less. Again, if the strong boxes are ferrous metal this will work quite well but only if they're ferrous. Magnetometers are kind of absurd in terms of how much depth they get.

Been looking at 2 boxes. $900 minimum.

Can I use a cheaper model with a larger coil (maybe 18”) to find a strongbox?

(a) Try to find a TM808 or TF900, $500 for a used one (all there is now) is not unreasonable.
(b) If you know the strong box is steel or iron, get a magnetometer. A used Schonstedt can be had for $500, maybe less.

(a) Try to find a TM808 or TF900, $500 for a used one (all there is now) is not unreasonable.
(b) If you know the strong box is steel or iron, get a magnetometer. A used Schonstedt can be had for $500, maybe less.
Where can you find a used one? Also how deep do they go?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back