Metal detecting question please answer!!!!

treasurehunter101

Jan 14, 2014
NY AREA
Detector(s) used
Learned on Bounty Hunter Junior, then Tracker IV, and now using the Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Attachments

• image-2410468658.jpg
    image-2410468658.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 117
When posting pictures it helps to tell size by adding a ruler or tape measure opened or a common coin to judge scale.
It does resemble a clock key, don,t get caught with it kid or dad will get mad. That,s a funny.

Upvote 0
When posting pictures it helps to tell size by adding a ruler or tape measure opened or a common coin to judge scale. It does resemble a clock key, don,t get caught with it kid or dad will get mad. That,s a funny.

What's a clock key?

Upvote 0

Attachments

• image-4270734858.jpg
    image-4270734858.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 88
  • image-3006178427.jpg
    image-3006178427.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 77
Upvote 0
An old clock winder

Upvote 0
A key that was used to wind clocks..

Upvote 0
Treasurehunter101, as other folks have mentioned, we need exact measurement of your key to identify it with certainty. Meanwhile, I'll answer your questions, and add some info.

A "clock key" is for winding a clock. Until the mid-1900s, many "table clocks" were wound with a key. My grandmother owned one which was made in the 1930s.

You key is one version of "Skeleton keys." They have short prongs on one end of a metal shaft (which sometimes resembled finger-bones on the end of a skinny arm, hence the name), with a ring on the other end. They were used for all kinds of locks, from door-locks to padlocks to clocks, etc. (and even clock-winding). They've been in existence for MANY centuries, with very little change in their shape, so they can very difficult to time-date. I should mention, some are still being manufactured today, as replacements for lost antique-lock keys.

Your lock is short-bodied, so it fit a lock which wasn't very thick, such as a padlock, trunk-lock, cabinet-lock, or desk-drawer lock. Also, yours has a thick shaft instead of a thin one. That indicates (but doesn't necessarily "prove") it was for a padlock, which sometimes required a lot of force to unlock, so the key tended to be "sturdier." Door locks usually had a thinner and longer shaft.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Treasurehunter101, as other folks have mentioned, we need exact measurement of your key to identify it with certainty. meanwhile, I'll answer your questions, and add some info. A "clock key" is for winding the clock. Until the mid-1900s, many "table clocks" were wound with a key. My grandmother owned one which was made in the 1930s. You key is one version of "Skeleton keys." They have prongs on one end of a metal shaft, with a ring on the other end. They were used for all kinds of locks, from door-locks to padlocks to clocks, etc. (and even clock-winding). They've been in existence for MANY centuries, with very little change in their shape, so they can very difficult to time-date. I should mention, some are still being manufactured today, as replacements for lost antique-lock keys. Your lock is short-bodied, so it fit a lock which wasn't very thick, such as a padlock or trunk-lock or cabinet-lock. Also, yours has a thick shaft instead of a thin one. That indicates (but doesn't necessarily "prove") it was for a padlock, which sometimes required a lot of force to unlock, so the key tended to be "sturdier." Door locks usually had a thinner and longer shaft.
Okay well the measurement up to down is 1 1/2 inches on a tape measurer

Upvote 0
Treasurehunter101, as other folks have mentioned, we need exact measurement of your key to identify it with certainty. meanwhile, I'll answer your questions, and add some info. A "clock key" is for winding the clock. Until the mid-1900s, many "table clocks" were wound with a key. My grandmother owned one which was made in the 1930s. You key is one version of "Skeleton keys." They have prongs on one end of a metal shaft, with a ring on the other end. They were used for all kinds of locks, from door-locks to padlocks to clocks, etc. (and even clock-winding). They've been in existence for MANY centuries, with very little change in their shape, so they can very difficult to time-date. I should mention, some are still being manufactured today, as replacements for lost antique-lock keys. Your lock is short-bodied, so it fit a lock which wasn't very thick, such as a padlock or trunk-lock or cabinet-lock. Also, yours has a thick shaft instead of a thin one. That indicates (but doesn't necessarily "prove") it was for a padlock, which sometimes required a lot of force to unlock, so the key tended to be "sturdier." Door locks usually had a thinner and longer shaft.
Okay I measured it with a tape measurer up to down and it was 1 1/2 inches long. Does that indicate anything? Thanks :)

Upvote 0
Okay I measured it with a tape measurer up to down and it was 1 1/2 inches long. Does that indicate anything?

Upvote 0
Ok guys I need one answer haha :)

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back