Metal detecting in Japan- Did pretty good today

Coins4Cheese

Jun 30, 2009
Japan
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Garret Ace 250
Went to the beach to MD. First, I MDed in the sand, but I didn't find anything. Than, I MDed at a grassy play area. I found two 10 yen coins (About 20 cents). After that, it was getting dark, so I headed over to a wooden walkway. They were doing construction on the walkway, and all the planks were removed, so it hit me. "Gold mine!". People sit on those planks, and coins fall between the cracks. Needless to say, I found 262 yen, all in a tiny area. My total for today is 282 yen or about $2.82.

HH.

Upvote 0
Was that in Zushi or over at the beach near you? Either way, congrats bud :hello2:

Not bad. That is 2.82 more then you had when you got up this morning. Now aren't you glad you had a yen to go metal detecting.
:hello: HH in 2010 :hello2:

cillosis said:
Was that in Zushi or over at the beach near you? Either way, congrats bud :hello2:

I MD out in Enoshima. Not much competion, except for one other person.

Good hunting. How cold over in Japan is it? Here in Korea it is still freezing.....went out Saturday, looking for hunting sites
in the hills. Hiked 10+ kms, but nada. Did find several old deep trails going over the hills, but no coin site.
Do you ever find any of the older, holed coins? I find my share of holed Japanese coins here, plus buckets full of the 1910 - 1945 era coins, when Korea was encroached upon by Japan.
Wish I could get over there to show you how we hunt here in Korea. I am sure that there are some sites up in the hills/mts of Japan, similar to Korea, except the majority of coins would be Japanese.......here it is Korean, with a smattering of Japanese and Chinese holed coins.
If you get over here, let me know. We'll plan a trip to the hills. Hikeinmts in Korea

hikeinmts said:
Good hunting. How cold over in Japan is it? Here in Korea it is still freezing.....went out Saturday, looking for hunting sites
in the hills. Hiked 10+ kms, but nada. Did find several old deep trails going over the hills, but no coin site.
Do you ever find any of the older, holed coins? I find my share of holed Japanese coins here, plus buckets full of the 1910 - 1945 era coins, when Korea was encroached upon by Japan.
Wish I could get over there to show you how we hunt here in Korea. I am sure that there are some sites up in the hills/mts of Japan, similar to Korea, except the majority of coins would be Japanese.......here it is Korean, with a smattering of Japanese and Chinese holed coins.
If you get over here, let me know. We'll plan a trip to the hills. Hikeinmts in Korea

I would love to visit Korea some day. They have a lot of history over there.

Thanks for the post, it brought back some fine memoeries of MDing Okinawa's beaches. Man, I racked up some treasure there, the key was upgrading the detector!
Bob
http://www.okinawarelics.com
isamu swords.jpg

As a kid growing up I lived in Okinawa (Kadena) and Japan (Itazuke AFB and Brady AFB/Camp Hakata). We used to kick up stuff occasionally.. but back in the mid-late 50's, nobody had ever heard of metal detecting.. :-( Wish I could take the DFX and time travel back!

~Mike

Please do your research before you metal detect in Japan...

Here are some resources to help you out in doing so:

Of particular importance:

CHAPTER IV Buried Cultural Property (Article 57 - Article 68)

CHAPTER V Historic Sites, Places of Scenic Beauty and/or Natural Monuments

CHAPTER VII Penal Provisions
(Criminal Penalties)

http://www.wipo.int/tk/en/laws/pdf/japan_cultural.pdf

And here is some more info:

Of interest is the breakdown of types of Cultural Properties:

http://www.bunka.go.jp/bunkazai/pamphlet/pdf/pamphlet_en_03_ver03.pdf

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back