Metal Cone Object

tcornel

Aug 11, 2011
NE Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, 17" & 6" coils, Equinox 800, Propointer AT, Stealth 920i, Lesche Sampson and digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dug this yesterday at a 1920's farm.

It is 2" at the base and 2.5 inches high. Heavy, not magnetic and was poured in two pieces by the seam.
I tried scratching it with a knife tip and I could not dig into it. White in color.

Rings 12-42 on CTX which is the penny range.

Any ideas?

Tom

Attachments

• 100_2232.JPG
    100_2232.JPG
    888.3 KB · Views: 98
  • 100_2234.JPG
    100_2234.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 99
  • 100_2235.JPG
    100_2235.JPG
    861.4 KB · Views: 97
Looks like a chair leg.

Upvote 0
I thought it might be nickel so I spark tested on the grinder. No spark, white metal and kind of soft resistance to the wheel as opposed to say steel.

So it is not nickel.

Upvote 0
What does the side facing down look like is there a hole?

No hole. Concave bottom. This thing weights over a pound, maybe 2.

The location of the house is about 400 feet from a vertical shaft from an 1870?? coal mining operation.
All other recoveries around the house indicate from civil war era to the depression. Nothing modern.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It looks like a lead weight used in sea fishing but, I don't see any wire loop remnants in the top of it.

Upvote 0
I don't know what it is, but I can tell you this much, it's certainly the nicest one I've ever seen!!!

Upvote 0
Scale weight?

Upvote 0
a simple guess would be it is zinc..possibly an anode for anti corrosion

Upvote 0
a simple guess would be it is zinc..possibly an anode for anti corrosion

You are probably right about it being an anode or something used in smelting. This area of NE Ohio was rich in heavy manufacturing.

I would think zinc would be much lighter than lead, though. Thinking zinc pennies.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back