Met Two Archies Today at the Beach

C

Cappy Z.

Went down to the beach MDing for a change. Beautiful day here..70ish and cloudy with a heavy noreast sea breeze. I was actually trying to exercise not really thinking I'd find anything but clad. Well, I see these two guys in their forties with a group of young college 'kids's with sifting screens right on the beach. They approached me and we had a very nice dialogue. They work for a non govt company out of Texas that checks sights for archaeology before the army corp of engineers dumps sand in by the tons. I informed them these beaches needed no new sand at all. However, they informed me of an area I am familiar with near St. Augustine that after I described it they stated they had just been there yesterday. Indian middens right on the edge of the beach. I had originally thought maybe a shell road..but I was wrong. This site has many layers. I am now wondering if any artifacts might be falling onto that stretch of beach due to erosion. The inland area is a well known Indian village. btw, the archies were MDers as well. "We take them with us everywhere.." lol.

Upvote 0
That's really neat... were they just practicing techniques, or were they finding any substantial artifacts?

Bran <><

lol. Actually they hadn't anything for I guess a few days. However you can bet your last dollar I intend on going to that midden and digging deep!

good luck with that and hope you find something. I have a few midden here on the other coast I hit regularly after storms. I do take a long screwdriver and a 3 prong hand rake. Dont rush your search and keep your mind open to any and all shapes, plummets, bone pins, shell beads have all produced at my spots, points also. Shell tools, nice nothced busycon shell hammers and shell celts, big quahog clam shells that have indentions on them from being used as anvils. You really dont have to dig, just look at the stuff being washed out. hope you rescue plenty

DSC02053.jpg

DSC02054.jpg

DSC02055.jpg

DSC02058.jpg

DSC02059.jpg

DSC02066.jpg

DSC02065.jpg

DSC02063.jpg

DSC02062.jpg

DSC02061.jpg

Thanks for the response centfladigger. You definitely have an eye for detail. Interesting photos too.
:icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back