Melted gold chunk?

Brianbarr88

Jun 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
image.jpg
I had this given to me for a debt. Is it melted gold?
Is this what gold looks like after it's been melted down?
I was told it was a chain and it was melted. I'm not asking if its real gold, but is this the shape it takes on after it's been melted?

I take it you do not own a test kit.

Yes it does RESEMBLE gold that has been smelted/melted.

The questions here are...

#1. Purity
#2. Weight
#3. Amount of debt.

Upvote 0
SEND IT TO ME AN I WILL LET YOU, KNOW IN A FEW YEARS . ARRC IT HAS TO BE WORTH SOMETHING IF IS GOLD WHO KNOWS. DOES IT HAVE A HEAVY FEEL TO IT. AS LONG AS I HAVE BEEN DETECTING I HAVE NOT FOUND ANYTHING GOLD. THATS 5 YEARS .. DIDNT MEAN TO SOUND LIKE A SMART ELECK. GOOD LUCK.

Upvote 0
You can either purchase a Gold testing kit and a digital weight scale which weighs in grains, grams and Troy ounces and test and weigh the piece yourself or take it to a Jewelry Store or Pawn Shop to have it tested and weighed. My guess from the color, it is probably 14kt.

Frank

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Brian the question of is this the shape of Gold after being melted. The answer would be it will be whatever shape the item it is poured into, round bottom it would be shaped like a button, square it would come out like a bar,It depends on what it is put in to cool back down from liquid form to solid form as to what it's shape would be.It has the look of Gold but you won't know until you test it.I can spray paint a lead bar Gold and it will look Gold but testing would prove it is not.

Upvote 0
also, did you ask how he melted it? Gold doesn't melt until around 1900 degrees F. That is going to require some serious heat.

Upvote 0
Looks to me like the sprue that was clipped off a bronze casting after it was removed from a sand mold.

Can't tell gold by shape, but IMHO it would be shiny and bright where cut.

Upvote 0
It is real gold. And really really shiny where it was cut, it also has been scratch tested. Idk the purity/karat but I know it's real. I also have a gold nugget pendant, but a magnet grabs ahold of it partly.
I have a handful of rings that are all nugget look alikes. The ring part is attracted to the magnet but the gold nugget part doesn't as much. Is it possible the ring part is not gold and the nuggets on top are? And it's only magnetized because of the base metal in the ring part?
Basically I'm wondering will an item consisting of part gold and part someother metal that's magnetic both will stick to a magnet because there is a magnetic metal infused with the gold?

Upvote 0
Also, where is the best place to sell my gold? A refinery for the melted stuff right?
I live in Saint George Utah and the only gold refinery here is in west valley Utah, which is northern Utah, I live in southern Utah. Should I just head to Vegas to cash it in?
Also I have a solid gold braclett stamped 14k Italy, I cannot find a similar one online so in clueless to what it's worth, even an estimate.
Anybody have any tips on where I should go about selling second hand gold jewelry ? Would it be smarter to try and sell the item whole rather than have it melted and cashed in for gold spot price?
I can't seem to find anybody to buy my scrap gold for golds spot price per karat.. Pawn shops are a joke, they take like 1/3 of your money..

Upvote 0
Also, where is the best place to sell my gold? A refinery for the melted stuff right?
I live in Saint George Utah and the only gold refinery here is in west valley Utah, which is northern Utah, I live in southern Utah. Should I just head to Vegas to cash it in?
Also I have a solid gold braclett stamped 14k Italy, I cannot find a similar one online so in clueless to what it's worth, even an estimate.
Anybody have any tips on where I should go about selling second hand gold jewelry ? Would it be smarter to try and sell the item whole rather than have it melted and cashed in for gold spot price?
I can't seem to find anybody to buy my scrap gold for golds spot price per karat.. Pawn shops are a joke, they take like 1/3 of your money..

ARA in Dallas....I would wait thou , since gold is at a 5 year low...But ARA gives around 98% or so..the local pawn shops here i heard give 80-83% melt

Upvote 0
I would guess that you have a gold botton from a lost wax casting run.

Yep Diggin-In-Dumps posted the other refinery that I was going to try out, I think they are rated #1.

A member of TNet that made or still makes gold repo Indian Head coins said melt your gold it into an ingot and then cut it in two making sure to leave noticeable cut marks. Then send one half to whoever, I say Med West and the other to ARA Gold.

Upvote 0
Before I accepted that as payment for a debt I believe I would have taken it to a jewelry store and let them look at it. But if you're happy you've been repaid that's all that matters.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back