Medieval weight set

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
Had another weight yesterday got four now. Also now got them accurately weighed. Although they look crude they are very accurate. The weights are two and a quarter ounce, two and three eights of an ounce, two and an half ounce , and two and five eights of an ounce. So the weights go up in eights of an ounce, wonder what they were weighing ?.

HH Robert.

Attachments

• weight set.jpg
    weight set.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 597
Upvote 0
maybe dumb question but how do you know they are medieval? how do you know they are for weighing?....they look like fishing weights to me :icon_scratch:

mistergee said:
maybe dumb question but how do you know they are medieval? how do you know they are for weighing?....they look like fishing weights to me :icon_scratch:
[/quote Good question, ive seen these recorded as medieval ( of course that could be wrong). The site they came of though is prolific in medieval finds of all types.

Those are Really Cool. 8)

What interests me is that I have found every shape of medieval weight you could image. Although I have seen this type before, we have never found any. So the question is 'why' :icon_scratch: Is it we haven't had the right site, or to do with local variations.

CRUSADER said:
What interests me is that I have found every shape of medieval weight you could image. Although I have seen this type before, we have never found any. So the question is 'why' :icon_scratch: Is it we haven't had the right site, or to do with local variations.
Ive never found any in 25 years until these 4, could be a local variety or maybe a rare type of weight used only for a small amount of years.

robfinds said:
CRUSADER said:
Ive never found any in 25 years until these 4, could be a local variety or maybe a rare type of weight used only for a small amount of years.
They come in many shapes and sizes as you say Cru, Robs look like they were ment to hang down from something perhaps loom or for checking wall levels just can't work out the different weight thing, rather than weighing out some thing like wool or grain etc :thumbsup:

Attachments

• wheights 002.JPG
    wheights 002.JPG
    141.2 KB · Views: 352
  • wheights 005.JPG
    wheights 005.JPG
    49.8 KB · Views: 344
perhaps throw net weights for fish or bird net/s?

Nice weights Rob! I have not seen any like that and think they may be specific to your area. HH, Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back