Aug 17, 2013
Coastal Orange County, CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATX, AT Pro, ProPointer, and a weirdly good sense of direction
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
-
Another day and another interesting find. I can't even imagine what they would be shooting at 100 years ago at the beach with a shell this big, pterodactyl!?
I've been watching this parking lot renovation in the Belmont Shore area of Long Beach, CA, for a week now. I was hoping they were going to rip out the asphalt in the beach parking lot, but they are just going to grind the surface and redo it. They must have ripped up the sidewalk late yesterday, so this morning I saw a chance to MD it before the workers showed up.

Just as I started scanning the sand under the old sidewalk and found this cartridge, the workers showed up. I decided to just stop MD'ing and walk away as not to be told to leave. Hopefully they will not pour new concrete today to give me a chance to work the area before light tomorrow morning.

When I scooped the cartridge up, it was so encrusted in sand, I did not know what it was. As I was scraping the sand away, I accidentally snapped it in half about the same time I noticed what it was. If you enlarge the photo, you can see the Queen Mary below Palo Verde hill in the background.

Bullet Location.jpg--P1030759.JPG--P1030763.JPG--P1030757.JPG

After I got home, I cleaned it up some to find out what kind of cartridge and how old. Below is what I found online about the markings on the head:

Thanks for Looking and I'm hoping for more interesting finds tomorrow morning.

United States Cartridge Company 45-70-432 Rifle cartridges. Has the U.S.C.CO 45-70 headstamp. This headstamp was used in the late 1800's to the late 1930's.

acf43fe.jpg--acf43fd.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 2
That is an interesting find! There's always neat stuff under sidewalks. HH!

-
Thank You for your comment MsBeepBeep ... Hopefully it's still dirt tomorrow and not fresh poured concrete.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back