McNairy county Tenn.

There is a web site for CW just type
that it then CW Battle maps they are not hard to find.
Just type in what Battle you are looking for.
cwe

Try searching....Perry Castaneda Library Map Collection,I'm sure you'll find something there,good luck and HH!!

Here's something of Sherman's movements in the area of Bolivar Co. n/of Corinth:

From Gemeral Sherman's memoirs:

Be that as it may, the army had no sooner settled down at Corinth before it was scattered: General Pope was called to the East, and his army distributed among the others; General Thomas was relieved from the command of the right wing, and reassigned to his division in the Army of the Ohio; and that whole army under General Buell was turned east along the Memphis & Charleston road, to march for Chattanooga. McClernand's "reserve" was turned west to Bolivar and Memphis. General Halleck took post himself at Corinth, assigned Lieutenant-Colonel McPherson to take charge of the railroads, with instructions to repair them as far as Columbus, Kentucky, and to collect cars and locomotives to operate them to Corinth and Grand Junction. I was soon dispatched with my own and Hurlbut's divisions northwest fourteen miles to Chewalla, to save what could be of any value out of six trains of cars belonging to the rebels which had been wrecked and partially burned at the time of the evacuation of Corinth.

Thanks for the information. Sherman said this about McNairy county (the area is so poor that a buzzard could starve to death while flying over it)
relicreb

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back