McClellan Saddle

S

stefen

Not sure this is the correct site but may be of interest to CW buffs.

I have a McClelland (12") saddle that I used on my Paso, which I want to sell.

I beleive that its an 1884 to 1886 rigging.

Also have an old leather ferrier / blacksmiths full apron and a saddlemakers sewing bench that came from an army base. Might think about parting with these also.

If there is any interest, I will post some pics.

Upvote 0
Could you post the saddle and stuff. My sister is redoing and old blacksmith shop on their horse ranch and I will send her the photos

CW Era Are The Most Valuable. trk5capt...

Attachments

• McClellan3.jpg
    McClellan3.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 284
  • McClellan3.jpg
    McClellan3.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 261
saddle's in good shape capt. looks uncomfortable as hell. wonder how they could sit in those things for hours or even days on end.

Gypsyheart,

Thank you for your interest. It's greatly appreciated...and your not being ignored by my lack of follow-up postings.

I'm missing two elements...the first is I have packed the Ferriers apron away with other tack and haven't found it yet, and secondly I need to have my camera returned.

Hang in there.

As to the comfort of the saddle, it depends on the rider, the breed of the horse and its gait. The gaited horse such as a Peruvian, when in full paso gait (gallop for any other horse), is so smooth that the rider can actually have a full glass of champagn in both extended hands and not spill a drop...try doing that with any other saddlebred.

The McClelland is light weight, durable and the bars are designed to fit most any horse of its time, from a plow horse to a Walker. Comfort-wise, it can be matched to an Aussie, as long as it is a fitted match to the riders posterior...and stirrup length...and most of all, to the riders equitation abilities.

A poor rider on a broken-gaited horse will have a sore butt like he/she has been riding a fence rail.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back