1.9 MB · Views: 95
  • IMG_3062.jpeg
    IMG_3062.jpeg
    407.7 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_3063.jpeg
    IMG_3063.jpeg
    159.9 KB · Views: 76
Upvote 20
I'm thinking it could be gold plated costume jewelry?

Made a quick trip to an old park in town yesterday.
Found a 1927 Wheatie and this pin .
Rang up as a 6 on my equinox. I haven’t seen any markings on it yet .
Nice!!! Congrats!!!

Made a quick trip to an old park in town yesterday.
Found a 1927 Wheatie and this pin .
Rang up as a 6 on my equinox. I haven’t seen any markings on it yet .
It's a really nice gold wash/plated pin, a good recovery.
The gold really stood up to the test of time as well, a better made piece in its day.

Real nice and intact. I found a solid gold earring that rang an 8 on my nox. Your'e in the gold range ringing a 6. The back does look plated or is that just dirt? Can you carefully clean it up more and show more pics? Thanks

Nice find !
If you don't have a Gold Testing Kit - take it to a local Jeweler and they could tell you what you have.
Most Jeweler's will look at your piece for free.

Real nice and intact. I found a solid gold earring that rang an 8 on my nox. Your'e in the gold range ringing a 6. The back does look plated or is that just dirt? Can you carefully clean it up more and show more pics? Thanks
It does look plated in this pic . From where it was in the hole it was only buried a couple years .

Attachments

• IMG_3086.jpeg
    IMG_3086.jpeg
    319.2 KB · Views: 23
Nice piece, gold or not. I like it.

Actually... you may have just found yourself an antique 8 karat (333) piece. (could even be a higher karat)
Looks good from here BUT...
It may just be AT LEAST... "Gold filled"... which is still an ok find.

Better than plated or costume for sure.

I think it might be 18K but the pin is lower karat for strength.
It's sure a pretty yella and I don't see ANY indications of plating.
I'm far from a pro, though.
NICE FIND and hope its the real thing.

I think it might be 18K but the pin is lower karat for strength.
It's sure a pretty yella and I don't see ANY indications of plating.
I'm far from a pro, though.
NICE FIND and hope its the real thing.
Pins on this era of "low end" good stuff are often steel... not only for strength but cost.

Last edited:
I see a gold tone pin but more like 10k and the rest is that pretty buttery high karat gold. Pics can be deceiving.

Reactions: ARC
That's a really pretty pin! I would be very happy to find that!

I believe I have a piece that is very possibly made by the same jewelry shop your item came from. I see some similar design elements in what you have and what I have. Mine also has eyelet and small hooks on the back, which made me think mine was pieced-out of some larger assembly piece from maybe a necklace or something. Yours looks to have 4 eyelets on the back. I took mine down to the coin shop to be tested, as they have an expensive XRF analyzer to check the items that are suspicious and unmarked. The fella look it over first with magnification and spotted a small file mark on the edge. He said it looked plated and refused to do any further testing. I hadn't noticed that little file spot before and to me I see a plate or almost an applied layer of yellow gold over a redish base metal like copper. I'm still intrigued about the turquoise stone in what I have. Could it be genuine and from where it maybe came from. Is it American turquoise or is it from somewhere else?

Attachments

• 20240215_052006.jpg
    20240215_052006.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 15
  • 20240215_052018.jpg
    20240215_052018.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 15
  • 20240215_052414.jpg
    20240215_052414.jpg
    920.8 KB · Views: 16

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread