Matched set of Liberty Vs

jt70

Apr 27, 2005
My Own World
Detector(s) used
DFX
Matched set of Liberty V's

Went back to the old church site for an hour tonight. Found this pair of 1904 Liberty V Nickles and a 1925 wheatie. Any suggestions about wether or not I should clean them and if so. how? I have never found any of these I think they are just great. Oh, and by the way they are the oldest dated items or coins I have found yet.

Attachments

• Liberty V Pair.jpg
    Liberty V Pair.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 337
Upvote 0
Re: Matched set of Liberty V's

Cool finds!

HH

Lonewolfe

CONGRATS! Great finds!Me personally,I just clean mine with a soft cloth and some soapy water,I love the natural look like when I find em.

peace,bigrig

Great coins, jt. :o I'm still trying for some old nickels like that.

In my opinion, I would clean them. Some people like them crusty. I like to see some details. I've been trying different methods.

The olive oil soak. Works OK. Not fast enough for me.

Hydrogen Peroxide and lemon juice. That's OK, too. Still not fast enough!

My favorite so far. Heat up the peroxide then soak the coins in it. I was using this method tonight on some wheats and and an IH that I just found.

Use a soft toothpick to work off the "crust".

So how exactly do you heat up the peroxide? do you dilute it at all? and how fast were you seeing results?

thanks

JT

I put the peroxide in a glass measuring cup and put it in the microwave.? You only need enough peroxide to cover the coins.? Then I poured it on my coins.? It really fizzes.? You still have to work at them with a toothpick to get the gunk off.? I just keep repeating the process.? I had an IH that was so coroded I just thought it was a wheatie.? In 15 minutes I uncovered the whole face of it.? The back is a different story.? It must have been lying face down.? I'm still working on the back.

I haven't tried it on any nickels.? You can try it on some clad first and see if you like the results!?

Here's a great thread on the subject with alot of cool animation and advice. http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,14141.0/topicseen.html

That's a pretty unique find, jt. Your first two V nickels found together and the same date. Interesting.

Keep up the good work.

It's great to get your first isn't it. The one on the right is nice. I would leave that one alone. The one on the left I would give a light peroxide bath. 25 seconds in the microwave. Put coin in take out in about a half an hour and gently scrap it. Nickel are the toughest to clean. I have found alot of v-nickels and most of the time the older one's are in terrible shape. I then use mother mag and aluminum polish on them to give them there natural shine back.

Or get a tumbler and clean all the really crusty one's along with the common date one's. Make sure when using peroxide you fully rinse your coin before it is stored away. It will keep eating at the coin. It is real easy to forget to rinse one. Sample these methods on nickels from the 40's not war nickles just some crusty one's so you can see the results first. It takes alot of practice so don't feal bad if you ruin some coins. I probably have ruined 10 or 15 v-nickles until I learned what I was doing. But there my coins so I don't get that mad.

Keep hunting looks like your doing good. HH Jeremy

Very cool! Hard for me to find V's around here, or I'm just not digging in the right places! ::)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back