Markings inside an old ring

Absolutely.

33% Gold, or "8 karat"

The stamps for percentage and karat symbol for gold expressed as follows:

333 - 8K gold
375 - 9k gold (vey popular in the old world, especially pre WWII UK)
417 - 10K gold
500 - 12K gold
585 - 14K gold
666 - 16K gold (gold teeth and fillings)
750 - 18K gold
792 - 19K gold (used in portugal)
833 - 20K
916 - 22k gold
999 - 24K gold

- kevo

Upvote 0
good job Kevo, just wanna point out that it would be 33.33 %, which is nit picking I know, but just in case someone wants to do the math thingy. :tongue3: ;D

Upvote 0
Thanks so much both of you. Another question concerning markings. Can a ring be gold if it has no Kt or number markings? I have a wedding band that has two markings inside. The first marking looks like a letter U with an arrow through it. The second marking is a large circle with a smaller circle inside the larger one. I have never seen these markings before. The ring has never tarnished despite it's age.

Upvote 0
if you take the ring to a jeweler he can do a rub test and be able to tell you what the content is if any

Upvote 0
In answer to your first question yes, it is possible to have a gold ring without an Identifying Karat mark. This can happen in a number of ways, one being smuggled jewelry is sometimes miss marked or unmarked in order to avoid taxes. Another way is antique jewelry from before the Karat marks were required. Another way is home made jewelry rarely comes with Karat mark. On a side note not all Karat marks are authentic. What I would suggest is to obtain a gold test kit they are really cheap and well worth it if you are into this hobby in even a small way. As for the markings you describe, I'm not familiar with either markings, but that means nothing, I'm no expert. :tongue3:

Upvote 0
Thanks!! I have done as much research online on these markings as was available and could find nothing. I will take your advice and buy a testing kit. This is an awesome sight!!!!

Upvote 0
The U with an arrow through it is the hallmark for Uncas jewelry......I think ,but am not quite sure that they were located in Rhode Island

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back