marker tree? saw it out hiking today

illumastorm

Jul 24, 2011
west central indiana
Detector(s) used
discovery 1,000
saw this tree while out hiking today, not sure if it's a marker or just natural? tree is old, diameter of base just guessing 7' across. limbs are up around 30' off the ground so if it is a marker it was done way back when the tree was young. only problem is the tree is on government land so i can't detect or dig, just have to use visual and a quick look around i didn't see anything popping out getting my attention, there is another tree off to the right that has bent limb but that tree looks younger then the first so i am guessing it's not a sight line. any experts have an idea?
p.s. the land it's on was a settlement way back in the 1800's so who knows.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    405.8 KB · Views: 507
  • 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    206.2 KB · Views: 351
storm,
welcome to the forum and thanks for posting your pics...however this is not much to
go on,,if it was a 3-400 year old Royal Spanish Oak, then it would be different...if later period
say KGC then marks and carvings ON the tree is what you would be looking at.

keep looking, focus on beech or large oaks, bent trees, which are mostly Indian marker trees for water and trails ect, but once in a while the KGC would make what they call a 'hoot owl tree' and your correct to notice
anything unusual when scouting an area..old dog has said, look for natural items in an un-natural place

I have found him to be a 'wise' old dog :thumbsup:
oro righteously
rangler

'seek knowledge rather than silver-understanding rather than gold'

Hi and welcome Istorm,
When you say "government land" do you mean State, BLM, Forest Service or Park Service or what?

If BLM it is public land and you can dig if you want as long as you return it to original when you leave. In otherwords fill in the hole.

Thetree looks a lot like a Cherokee boundry marker.

"government land" as in state park. i know indian's used to live around this area, and there was an old mill back in the 1800's that the landowner had but thats all gone now, just his house as a historical home.

Wheres smee when we need him? You might contact him for an opinion, he has studied Native modified trees for a long time.

sorry about the size of the pic, not sure how to make it smaller. i was just courious about this tree and was wondering if it's natural or not, didn't really think any treasure is around but if there is i'd like to find it or help find it.

illumastorm said:
sorry about the size of the pic, not sure how to make it smaller. i was just courious about this tree and was wondering if it's natural or not, didn't really think any treasure is around but if there is i'd like to find it or help find it.

storm u can download photoscape free it has a image sizer and several things
when u blow up pics u loose the marks

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back