Marked my dumps today

Trying to get a feel for the circulation of the coins?

I got a marked coin of mine back. Was about a month difference between when i dumped and got it back. There were keepers from that box if i recall correctly though. I had 2k worth that day.

Could he mean that he "marked" the dumps by dumping coins that would be easily recognizable if found in a subsequent bag/box of halves? The 1987 coins en masse would be a dead giveaway, also all those proofs if in good shape would also not be something one would find in such a large group. This is my guess as to what he meant.

If he really did "mark" up such a fine group of NIFCs in a manner that would ruin their CRHer value, it would be a crappy thing to do.

Jim

I think he marked them like his new puppy would. If he gets them back and they smell like him,they're his. I don't think Mark would actually put any kind of mark on them, I think he is trying to see if he gets back a bunch of shiny proofs and some 87s.
HH, Jim

Yea I just dumped them, I have a new rule- if it ain't silver its gone, cept them clad commemms forgot about them haha. First Proofs I ever found were that way= 45 in one box. HH Mark

Funny how that works. One of my banks started balking about fees they were charged and they made a deal with Loomis to buy bags. About every other pickup I make I get another canvas bag the other times it is those clear plastic ones. Few weeks ago when I was at a Friday pickup at a different bank a guy came in with his dump, clear bag (I just hate it when they do that, buy and dump at the same place). Well last time I went out to get my bag, it said BOA #such and such, next time I was at BOA I asked if this was that #- yep. I would quit going and getting the bags but like I say half the time is canvas and has keepers, clear bags skunks. HH Mark
coolpix9 said:
Mark, I had the whole marking thing blow up in my face this week. Last year I dumped all of my halves at 3 branches of the same bank. They let me do all the work including changing bags,sealing and marking the bags. Thursday I got 2 of my one year old bags back from my new supply bank. Both bags were dated 12-8-08 and were clearly marked with my JMP initials. It sure made it easy to not search the bags. I took them to my new dump bank Friday and accidentally opened both of them so they would have to re-bag them. I will never see those jewels again. My new supply bank and dump banks are in 2 different Loomis regions. Take care Mark, Jim

something funny is going on with the bags these days. i got a pm last night from a fellow hunter here that i will not name (if he wants to name himself) and asked me if my dump bank was named XXXXXXX XXXX. i could not believe it. i said yes and he said that he had a bag that was delivered to his supply bank by dunbar with the bank information on it. i told him the branch number of my dump bank and he checked the bag and it was there. the thing that is funny about it is my dump bank is serviced by brinks and his supply bank is serviced by dunbar. that is proof that these armored cars services are working together to some degree. i also told him that it may be a sign of something to come. if the services start recycling these bags around all we will be doing is exchanging clad. i am sure these services are tired of all of us. just the other day at one of my supply banks the vault teller told me that the loomis driver made the comment "i am getting tired of delivering 20 boxes to one bank and going right down the road to pick up 20 bags." i told the vault teller to assure him that he was not getting back any halves he delivered to me because i dump on brinks. i believe that this may be a start in a tactic to try and discourage us. hope not anyway. anyone else have any thoughts on this?

I have never been able to buy bags of unrolled halves that came from a coin courier (only bags right off the machine once in a while).

How do they verify the count if they are just taking dumps from one bank and sending them to another bank where a person has ordered halves? Also, most of the time I do get bags off the machine, there is always other stuff in there, such as other US coins of other denominations or crap such as guitar picks, etc. So even if they weigh the bags first that would not necessarily assure an accurate count. Are you guys finding you are getting shorted when you buy bags that come from couriers?

But as to Silvercop's comments, I would imagine that if they are just swapping bags, they are doing it because it is easier for them and less work, not necessarily a plan to defeat CRHers. But you never know.

Jim

Silver Stripe said:
Hated to do it but hunting $ was gettin thin or I just order too much. Sent about (70) '87 p's & d's through the counter along with about 150 nice lookin proofs. Maybe they won't come back but if they do it will be obvious. HH all, Mark

Why not sell the 87's at a profit and then have a little more money for reinvesting? Peopl eon this borad have bought 87's for more than face before. :-)

vault teller at my dump bank tells me that the bags are not counted. he said they weigh them and if they fall between a certain weight then they accept them. if not they send them back to the bank. i was also told last night that the bag from my dump bank had a date on it of march 2009. and it is kind of amazing they would not take them out of the bag that had another bank's information on it. i am glad that i don't get bags in my area. at first i thought they were better, but now no way. i guess the services swap coin around so the theory of a supply service and a dump service is kind of shot.

silvercop said:
anyone else have any thoughts on this?

Not really, no more than it is funny; my teller last week doing 1 Box at a time from the vault said she is gonna have to start going to the Gym again. I'm loading & hauling out the Bank door 6 Boxes at atime in 2 hand bags bring in with me, (no hernia yet) :laughing7: .

silvercop said:
i guess the services swap coin around so the theory of a supply service and a dump service is kind of shot.

I noticed back when I was still getting boxes that I would see the exact same types of coins (markings) in the boxes from Brinks, CWI and Dunbar. I don't know if they were swapping coins among each other or if CRHers are cross-dumping (buying from Brinks and dumping at Dunbar, etc.)

I think there are so many CRHers here now that the coins are being dumped all around one way or the other.

Jim

Found it odd today saw only 1 marked coin in 6 Boxes today, which must say is unusual, usually see 10 or 20 per box, of course figure many of them are old marks.

My teller told me till I started ordering Halves the Brinks driver told her he normally only brought into town 4 Boxes a month; I'm not very consistent some months do 12 others 24 to 28 ,just depends how often go to Mo each month.

Our Ark Bank informed us today their supplier balks at 20 box orders and told us we must limit order to 10 Boxes a week, max, only did 20 when I made trip to Mo., guess now it will be 10 . Just tlaked to her again her first 2 boxes of 5 tonite were skunks , number 3 in a few rolls had 12 ,3 were %90's too. She called woke me up so up will be till she finishes or goes to bed herself, she is much slower than me.

Silver Stripe said:
Funny how that works. One of my banks started balking about fees they were charged and they made a deal with Loomis to buy bags. About every other pickup I make I get another canvas bag the other times it is those clear plastic ones. Few weeks ago when I was at a Friday pickup at a different bank a guy came in with his dump, clear bag (I just hate it when they do that, buy and dump at the same place). Well last time I went out to get my bag, it said BOA #such and such, next time I was at BOA I asked if this was that #- yep. I would quit going and getting the bags but like I say half the time is canvas and has keepers, clear bags skunks. HH Mark
coolpix9 said:
Mark, I had the whole marking thing blow up in my face this week. Last year I dumped all of my halves at 3 branches of the same bank. They let me do all the work including changing bags,sealing and marking the bags. Thursday I got 2 of my one year old bags back from my new supply bank. Both bags were dated 12-8-08 and were clearly marked with my JMP initials. It sure made it easy to not search the bags. I took them to my new dump bank Friday and accidentally opened both of them so they would have to re-bag them. I will never see those jewels again. My new supply bank and dump banks are in 2 different Loomis regions. Take care Mark, Jim

Canvas are from suppliers and clear are from coin machines?

most of the time the clear ones come out of coin machines but in my case my dump bank gives the bags the machine uses to me and i just fill them up with 1K and take them in. they said i was causing too much wear and tear on their machine.

Well it took just over a month for them proofs and '87 to come back around. Wonder if my competition will hoard what they get and tie up their hunting $$$- I sent mine back for another round. HH all, Mark

i got a box of brink halves today and tons of halves in there were marked with 930 in blue marker ??? no silver in that box neither ::)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back