Mar 13, 2011 ** Updated Pictures Federal Revenue Cutter Cufflinks

FooserPaul

May 9, 2008
Somewhere in CT
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Mar 13, 2011 - Sunday I had to drive my son back to Boston and stopped just outside of town at a green... and had a blast! :-)

3132011_Totals.jpg

This token is the size of a half dollar and looks 50ish *shrug* - It was screaming 12/48 all the way about 5" down...

3132011_Beams_Daredevils_Token.jpg

Here is an 1864 "L" Indian Head in great shape!

3132011_1864L_IH.jpg

Next up was this 1893 Indian Head.... (IH #3 for 2011)

8132011_1893_IH.jpg

This Dime was loud and clea 12/45 @ 6" and I was 99% sure it was silver... I was only cleaned with water and I swear it still has some luster!

1899 Silver Barber Dime (Silver #3 for 2011)

3132011_1899_Barber_Dime.jpg

umrgolf: Here you go Paul.. Federal Revenue Cutter buttons and appear to be Civil war era.. It says this group eventually became the Coast Guard

http://relicman.com/buttons/zArchiveButtonFedGovRevenueCutter.htm

wikipedia quotes

"The United States Revenue Cutter Service was established by Secretary of the Treasury Alexander Hamilton in 1790 as an armed maritime law enforcement service. Throughout its entire existence the Revenue Cutter Service operated under the authority of the United States Department of the Treasury. In 1915 the Service merged with the United States Life-Saving Service to form the United States Coast Guard."

Civil War-

"Revenue Cutters assisted Navy operations throughout the war. The USRC Harriet Lane joined a Federal naval squadron to capture Forts Clark and Hatteras, which served as bases for Confederate blockade runners. USRC E.A. Stevens, a prototype 110-foot semi-submersible ironclad gunboat, participated in the unsuccessful sortie up the James River to Drewry's Bluff in company with the USS Monitor, USS Galena and two other gunboats, to attack the Confederate capital at Richmond. After carrying President Lincoln from Washington on May 9, 1862, the USRC Miami assisted navy transports in landing Federal troops at Ocean View, Virginia.

President Abraham Lincoln ordered the Secretary of the Treasury on June 14, 1863, "You will co-operate by the revenue cutters under your direction with the navy in arresting rebel depredations on American commerce and transportation and in capturing rebels engaged therein."

When Lincoln was assassinated on April 15, 1865, Revenue Cutters were ordered to search all ships for any assassins that might be trying to escape."

3122011_CuffLinks.jpg

Button:

3122011_WmJonesLondon_Button.jpg

This look WWI ...

3122011_ArmyMan.jpg

Little horse....

2132011_Horse.jpg

Happy Hunting ALL!
Paul

**** UPDATED PHOTOS:

Cufflink_Face_II.jpg

Cufflink_Face.jpg

Cufflink_Back.jpg

Cufflink_Front_Pair.jpg

Cufflink_Front_Pair_II.jpg

Upvote 0
wow, they look amazing Paul... I wish there were more of an appreciation for this find.. They are the FIRST revenue cutter relic of any kind I've seen posted on Tnet :o

I'm voting Banner. Thanks for sharing

btw, I would say those are 1850's-1860's :thumbsup: D. Evans & Co Extra

great finds!!!!!!!!! MR TUFF

Congrats on a spectacular find that my diggin partner Jeff gave me a heads up on. I knew of the Revenue Cutters from the Civil War but had never seen any of their buttons/cufflinks before....I must say, a find to be proud of....only wish I had dug'em :laughing9: :occasion14: :occasion14: :headbang:

{Sentinel} said:
Congrats on a spectacular find that my diggin partner Jeff gave me a heads up on. I knew of the Revenue Cutters from the Civil War but had never seen any of their buttons/cufflinks before....I must say, a find to be proud of....only wish I had dug'em :laughing9: :occasion14: :occasion14: :headbang:

Exactly what I figured.. These things hardly ever come out of the ground :o

Outstanding finds. You got my BANNER vote on those cuff links. Never saw anything like them.
We learn so much here on Tnet.
Way to go!!!!
-MM-

Those cufflinks are a great find Paul. First I have ever seen. :thumbsup: You got my banner vote. :icon_thumright:

my vote is banner also :thumbsup:

Fantastic Find !
can't find any records for Revenue Cufflinks,
I see the 'D' for Evans and guessing made from their 14 mm buttons, Rare Find.
Banner vote here :thumbsup:

Very interesting finds, and love that patina on the indians!

Nutria

umrgolf said:
wow, they look amazing Paul... I wish there were more of an appreciation for this find.. They are the FIRST revenue cutter relic of any kind I've seen posted on Tnet :o

UMRGOLF... Thank you for all the research and information you provided in this post... as well as to the TNet community as well... Its people like you that make the hobby so much more than just swinging and digging :-)

And thank you to all the banner votes so far :-)

Paul

FooserPaul said:
umrgolf said:

UMRGOLF... Thank you for all the research and information you provided in this post... as well as to the TNet community as well... Its people like you that make the hobby so much more than just swinging and digging :-)

And thank you to all the banner votes so far :-)

Paul

Thanks Paul, I appreciate that.. I like to help out and shed light on really great finds like this one when I can. Hope it makes it :icon_thumleft:

You have a fine piece of history there :hello2: and the coins look great, btw that's one of the best dug barbers Ive seen. I vote banner as well :coffee2:

nice assortment of stuff there.
The 1864 L indian is nice, and
the buttons/cuffs are sweet!
like umr says, don't think i've seen
the like of those before.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back