Rememberingyou

Tenderfoot
Aug 14, 2024

Attachments

• IMG_20240814_141123.jpg
    IMG_20240814_141123.jpg
    223.6 KB · Views: 80
Upvote 12
Very cool. What state are you in? They have a southwest look to them. These are closed ended trough matates.
I live in California. I don't mean to sound ignorant with this question, but what do you mean closed ended? Is it because they have been worn down to have walls on the side? Because both ends in the middle are open, which of course, makes them a trough. Now that I look at them, I understand the term better. They aren't just a flat surface rock like some I've seen. I've seen other matates here in California like these, so I think they are fairly common. These are the first matates I've found and with the manos!! I was so shocked and happy!! I usually find bowls. All kinds of different types. The pestels we find are never with a bowl. That was my lucky day. I should have bought a lottery ticket. Thank you for your information. Sorry if it took me a minute to understand the classification. So if you didn't know it was found in CA where would you think it was from. It's kind of funny because my late husband and I were at an Native American Artifact show about 5 years ago. My husband was looking at finding someone to authenticate a few of his pieces. A gentleman who authenticates artifacts was looking over a couple nice spear points my husband found while I was with him. One was a white spear point we found in our friend's vineyard. Not one nick out of it, it was perfect. The guy that does the authentication told us that the white one wasn't a California point. He told my husband he didn't find it here, but he had. He said these are the spear tips that come from Texas or I think he said Arkansas. I really haven't seen artifacts from other states. I pretty much thought they all looked the same. I finding out they don't. I'm just curious to see where you thought these were from when you first saw them.

I called them a closed-ended trough because one end is intact where is the other is open. This is a style that is real common among the Hopi Indian people in the Southwest desert area. Arizona, New Mexico, Southern California. As far as points found in CA from different areas, that is not unusual. Points were used as trade goods between tribes and traveled all over. I think most of us have found artifacts in our areas that aren't common to our specific region. I have found obsidian points in Arkansas but that is not a material you find here. It was traded in.

I knew there were a lot of Native Americans who lived in my area I didn't realize that my area was the most populated for the longest period of time. I can't remember if that is just for California or for the total of North America. My short term memory is starting to suck. Lol!

About the spear point, I agree with you. Points were traded all the time all of their items were currency to other tribes. I thought it was crazy for that gentleman to basically call us liars instead of saying what you just said. I guess he wouldn't have been a good authenticator.. lol!! My husband found a polished square stone piece, we called it the ice cream bar, because that is what he thought it was when he found it. It's about an ice cream sandwich in dimension size but just not quite as long. On one of the flat sides, there are grooves either carved intentionally or through using it as a tool. On the other side the groves aren't as deep and they are skinnier. It's a real cool piece. It's so perfect it almost looks like it was made with power tools. Lol! We always thought it was an arrow straightener, don't even know if there is anything like an arrow straightener. I heard people talking about them. Anyway, I honestly think it was for something else. I haven't seen anything like it in books. I just moved and it is buried in a safe place otherwise I'd post a pic of it. When I get to it I will. I would really like to see if anyone knows anything about it.

Hi! I'm new here and thought I'd show my last find on my late friend's property back in 2018. I was pretty excited. So glad I had a quad so I didn't have to carry them back to them house. They were under a tree about 5 feet apart. I was so happy with my find I haven't been out looking since.
Wooowww

Those metates, are a pretty good findings.

Where is the state where you found them?

Ready for prepare a jalapeño and tomate sauce 😊

Congratulations

Wooowww

Those metates, are a pretty good findings.

Where is the state where you found them?

Ready for prepare a jalapeño and tomate sauce 😊

Congratulations
Thank you! I was excited when I found them. Sometimes you question your eyesight when you find artifacts being sp perfectly made, you know? It's a pretty cool feeling. I live in the North Bay in CA. I was on my friend's property when I found them, my friend recently passed away. I'm always ready to prepare a jalapeño and tomato sauce!! 😁

Thank you! I was excited when I found them. Sometimes you question your eyesight when you find artifacts being sp perfectly made, you know? It's a pretty cool feeling. I live in the North Bay in CA. I was on my friend's property when I found them, my friend recently passed away. I'm always ready to prepare a jalapeño and tomato sauce!! 😁
why are you burying the relics you find for safe keeping? Just curious because you mentioned you buried an ice cream sandwich sized potential relic for safe keeping. that’s odd to me.

Wow very nice.

I once had to tote back to the truck a large relic, not as big as those, in the winter.

Those are very nice.
Thank you! They were so heavy. I can't even lift them on my own. I had to go back to the house to get my friend to help me lift them into the quad, plus they were found at least a mile from the house.

Back when me and my late husband were 19 years old and just boyfriend and girlfriend, we were deep in his hunting friend's property on a hike. We were heading back to our car walking through a dry creek bed when he stopped and showed me a rattlesnake sunbathing on a rock. He didn't want me to get bit. So he lead me around it. Then he stopped again. He found a huge Native American rock bowl. It was at least 15" in diameter and 17" deep. It had an area in the rim where it was worn thinner in which you could tell that it was the place that was held to pour out the water or whatever was in the bowl with. It was about one and a half to 2 inches thick around the bowl except at the hand held area. It was so heavy. He tried carrying it in his arms but could only make it about 1/4 of a mile. So, he took off his shirt wrapped it around his head and carried it 3 miles on his head to the car. It was 104°F that day. He got a blistering sunburn but he brought home his spectacular bowl and neither of us got bit by a rattlesnake. Crazy what we can do when we are young.

Last edited:
why are you burying the relics you find for safe keeping? Just curious because you mentioned you buried an ice cream sandwich sized potential relic for safe keeping. that’s odd to me.
They are buried in my stuff because I just moved residences and they are buried somewhere in my packed things. I know where they are but there is a lot to unpack and store properly before I reach them. They are in a safe stored location so nothing will get crushed. I could get them if I move a bunch of stuff and put the stuff back again. Just unnecessary work to do
I'll just wait until I get to them

They are buried in my stuff because I just moved residences and they are buried somewhere in my packed things. I know where they are but there is a lot to unpack and store properly before I reach them. They are in a safe stored location so nothing will get crushed. I could get them if I move a bunch of stuff and put the stuff back again. Just unnecessary work to do
I'll just wait until I get to them
oh I was thinking actually buried.

buried in belongings..I understand.

very nice saves. thanks for sharing.

Hi! I'm new here and thought I'd show my last find on my late friend's property back in 2018. I was pretty excited. So glad I had a quad so I didn't have to carry them back to them house. They were under a tree about 5 feet apart. I was so happy with my find I haven't been out looking since.
Very cool finds. Never found a set like this. Nice work!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back