✅ SOLVED Manhattan Brass Company dual oil burner mfg date pls.

Alan Payne

Jan 3, 2018
Interlachen, Fl
Detector(s) used
GTP 1350 Garrett ; Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Need help with dating this burner. I spent a good bit of time straightening this thing out. I think it would still work. 4045C744-0205-4A0A-A3AC-EA78E5D08F1F.jpeg909BB262-2DBC-4B16-AF16-32D1744191CB.jpeg909BB262-2DBC-4B16-AF16-32D1744191CB.jpegB06BE4C2-5E08-41AD-9B17-1593C43FDB5A.jpeg02C7AEFD-6A7D-4781-A52C-31DA02CC8C32.jpeg

Looks like a lamp, but I have a friend that has a heater that has three lamps in a metal box. Each lamp has two wicks like high/low?

Upvote 0
try using your item name including the word "duplex"... think you will find your item.

Upvote 0
Congratulations on your find and on resurrecting it! :occasion14:
Your M. B. Co. burner dates to around c1900.

In the 'lighting world', your burner is referred to as a 'Duplex Burner'. One of the most successful oil lamp burners was the Duplex burner introduced in 1865 which had two wicks side by side with a clear glass chimney with air drawn from below. Duplex burners were some of the most common burners used for lighting in the late 19th and early 20th centuries.

"One of the most significant improvements of the Victorian period was the introduction of paraffin. Patented in 1850, the price of the new fuel fell dramatically following the discovery of oil in Pennsylvania, USA. As paraffin was much lighter than colza the reservoir could be placed below the flame, enabling many new designs of light fittings. One of the most successful paraffin lamps was the Duplex burner introduced in 1865 which had two wicks side by side and, like the Argand lamp, a clear glass chimney with air drawn from below. Most lamps also had a larger shade around the chimney often of opaque glass to diffuse the light. The shades or diffusers provided an opportunity for decoration, and a variety of shapes, colours and patterns were used.

A type of paraffin lamp with a Duplex burner which was common in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. The simple pulley arrangement enabled the lamp to be pulled down low over a table to provide a bright pool of light, or raised to illuminate the whole room. The amount of light which can be produced by a wick is limited by the surface area of the wick and the amount of fuel and air able to reach it."

Dave

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I agree with everything he said!!!!Just pretend I said it. LOL

Upvote 0
Thank you all for helping. I read a lot of info about Manhattan Brass Co., but couldn’t pinpoint the age of this one. thank you Dave for the interesting info. This is the largest one I’ve found.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back