magnets / gold panning

Mainly because you can loose some gold that the wet black sand is holding. They take those cons home for further proccessing. I only take out the larger gold and take the rest home.

B H Prospector

I do that but still take the wet black sand home to dry out and separate any gold that stuck to the wet sands.

.......also depending on your area,like many of my spots the black sand is more hematite vs magnatite so the magnet only takes so much.I have a rare earth magnet mounted about an inch above the the first riffle of one of my sluices,so the maganatite jumps up to it and cuts down on my riffles getting clogged up when running straight cons

The main reason is it is too much of a bother for the results. Just pan it out with the rest of the cons. TTC

Here I go again being odd man out, oh, I am the odd man ok. Well I use magnets but they are on the outside of my pan and trap the magnetic black sands up and away from the gold and no I've never taken the time to haul the black sand out to see how much if any gold was in it. I was having too much fun panning without all the black sand being in the way and giving me trouble to care about it.

In the picture one of the magnets on the outside of my pan is facing us, its twin is on the other side of the pan. The magnets are placed high enough up on the pan so the magnetic sands are trapped up and away from the rest of the heavies in the bottom of the pan, this allows for some pretty quick reveals to see what is in the pan. The pan is a Batpan.com brand and they have been improved as there now is a riffle set along one full width of the top of the pan, the side where my green cup is. Check out the video on the Batpan site. One does not have to use the riffles if they do not want to. The pan works, I'm happy with it!................63 bkpkr

196_9642.JPG

Last edited:
63bkpkr: If you don't mind me asking what kind of magnet is that on your pan,I've seen the kind of rubbery mat like stuff that my wife uses to make decorations for the frig, but those don't seem strong enough for the application.
Kuger: You don't happen to have a picture of how you mounted the magnet on your sluice??
Thanks
OBD

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back