Southwest Idaho
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Minelab E-trac
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I started this year with a goal of 50 pieces of silver and 200 Wheat cents. A few weeks ago, I got to my goal with the cents. I've been looking at this great older house in my town and knew it would probably have a few goodies, but I never could catch the owner when he was home. Yesterday I finally saw a truck there and stopped to knock on the door. He was a great guy and told me to go ahead and hunt all I wanted to. So this morning I went there around 9:00 before it started getting too hot. I had 47 silver coins when I began. After carefully gridding the medium sized yard, I ended up pulling exactly three silvers from there. So I made my goal of 50. I hope I'll get a few more this season, but I don't really have a new goal. I have some other interests that start kicking in around mid-September and keep me busy through the late winter, so my metal detecting time will get less...even though our ground is huntable into December most years. I sure feel satisfied with these 50 coins. This is my second full year of detecting and the first year I've found any silver. I used an E-trac for most of these finds, but upgraded to a CTX a couple of months ago (but I still have the E-trac and use it from time to time). I also picked up a bonus 25S buffalo and some more Wheats. My goal for the rest of this year is to try for a Standing Liberty quarter and/or my first Indian Head cent. Not that hard for some locales, but around my sites they're pretty hard to come by.

DSC_0720.JPGDSC_0721.JPGDSC_0723.JPGDSC_0724.JPGDSC_0725.JPGDSC_0726.JPGDSC_0727.JPG

Thanks for looking and I hope you were successful if you got out today! Man, this heat is making it tough.

Upvote 3
Nice finds- buffalos in my area come out red- never look that nice. Nice mix of mintmarks too! Continued success!

Congrats on reaching your goal I set mine at 25 when I hit 17. Then when I got to 28 I made my goal 35 then found 8 more in one yard...now I've pushed it to 45. The 35 is the most I've found in a year. I'm amazed at the guys who find 100+! Would love to live in an area that would give up that much!:headbang:

Thanks. I think I could probably get close to 100 if I pushed myself as hard as I have to get these 50, but I have some other projects that I've neglected for several months and I really need to get back to them. Besides, I'm in this for the long haul and if I burn up all my spots trying to attain numbers, I'll run out of places to hunt fairly quickly. As it is, I have to travel a large part of the time to find good places to hunt. It does help when you find a good yard. In this quest for 50 I had one yard that gave me 11 silvers and a buffalo...including a Walker. It was the hunt you dream of, but likely will never reproduce. Good luck on your goal. I know you'll make it because you're determined to do it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back