Lucky Day!

Brett

Bronze Member
May 8, 2008
Montgomery, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC w/Sunray X-1
So the day started off with my getting to work really early so that I could leave early to hunt. Because I got up so early, I forgot about it being St. Patrick's Day and didn't grab a green shirt. When I got to work I did this on my hands:

031709_1.jpg

So then the work day finally ended and I raced to the park where my Dad had been hunting already before me. I told him I was hitting a spot that I thought could be good first, and then I'd meet up with him. He had already tried HIS new spot and was working "the spot" again. After a while he calls me, and I already know he's got silver. He says, you're not going to like this... well, I was ok with it, but I continued to hunt various areas on my way back OVER to "the spot". I picked up some water from my car and brought it out to him. He shows me where he dug his coin, and I was like right here?? He's like, yup. I'm thinking, dang! I've walked right by here plenty of times. So I ask if he's hunted kind of down and into the weeds. He says no, so I start heading that way. And he takes off pretty far away. Well, I figured he's done with the area he found his coin at and I started kind of going over it nearby. Right away I get this weird flakey signal that was reading like a wheatie, but not quite. It was masked with some low tone and just an all around terrible signal in most directions. I got a pinpoint on it and popped out a pull tab ring. I was thinking... NICE! There's gotta be something good in the hole. But I probe down and there was NOTHING! So I close up the hole thinking there's gotta be something NEARBY then! Sure enough, right next to that hole there was a great sounding wheatie/dime signal. I opened up 4" of turf and ran the probe down in the hole. She was singing 12-47! I called for my Dad to come over and watch me dig a quarter! So carefully I dug down and around a little more at a time and eventually at 6" I got my first silver quarter! A 1952-d Washington!! :woohoo: This was no more than 3 feet from his find, but just not the kind of signal you would dig (well, I would, but most might avoid it).

A little later in the hunt I got the sterling heart pendant (my first sivler jewelry for the year), but when I popped it out it fell into the two pieces and I just assumed it was junk. Nonetheless I showed it to my Dad, so he knows I really did find it there. Anyhoo.. the wheaties are 1956-d (got this one RIGHT next to the quarter hole, and I thought it was for sure a dime). The 1942-s was another one way signal. I'm convinced if you dug all of those surface targets you'd find buried treasure underneath, but that's a LOT of digging.

031709_2.jpg

031709_3.jpg

031709_4.jpg

I'm finally on the board for a silver quarter, and in our little 'ol hunted out spot. :)

Congrats on your first Washington Brett! It was a great day for a hunt at the spot.

For sure, I was getting hot in my t-shirt and jeans. Time to grid from multiple angles real slow!

SO you got that silver George at last this year!

Great digs as always!

Brett, great hunt!

It's good you didn't wash your hands until AFTER the hunt ;D

Mark

Brett,
Your off to a great start this year!!!!
It's going to be a great year for you.

Makton

Brett,

Congratulations on your first silver quarter! Isn't it cool pulling up a silver bigger than a dime? That makes at least two silver Washingtons this weekend (yours and Kermit's). What a great start to a season we are all having! Now go get some more!

Joe

Update: I just read Litefire's post, so that's THREE silver Washingtons...even better!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back