Cletus

Nov 24, 2015
Winchester Virginia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus / Garrett AT Pro / Garrett AT Pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_santa:Congratulations Cletus.
All I can say is. At first you'll think, the Nel is superior. It screams at everything with the AT. As you learn the settings on the Deus you can make it that way but no reason to.
I still haven't a clue what I'm doing Cletus. I wrote down what to tweak when I go out. I keep pulling up there videos on tv through youtube. I start at video #5 and fall asleep, waking up way after #10.
What I can say is I've been doing some serious clean ups of places I've already been with the AT.
I'll never buy another detector unless it's lighter.
Good luck with it and Merry Christmas :icon_thumright:

dont be suprized if basic 1 and 2 act like the at pro the performance comes with tuning it, congrats

Congrats and we're almost in the same boat. While my wife didn't exactly buy mine for me, she told me if I wanted one to get it. To me that's pretty much the same thing. I bought mine slightly used (and I do mean SLIGHTLY!), from a fellow TNet member and it arrived Friday. I'm moving up from a T2 Classic and look forward to hitting the field with it. I've also been watching all of the videos I could (though I managed to make all the way through all of Gary's videos), have kept up with Calabash Digger's vids and recommendations. I also bought Andy Sabisch's book and have been going over it..slowly, since I received it this past Wed.! Good luck with your new machine!

Here's to both our wives! :icon_thumleft:

yea I don't know where to start. I'm really nervous to even touch this thing.
think I'm going to try to turn it on and get the #6 relic program set and try it in my test garden

remember this when reading andys book he hunts with more discrim than most of us. I hunt like Gary does over in the uk because those guys know how to hunt iron. I am not a fan of the discrim being over 1 because when you do that you start knocking the nails out that you need to hear to locate sites. If you train yourself with low discrim your ear will get in tune with the machine and you will be able to pick the non ferroues targets out.

yea I don't know where to start. I'm really nervous to even touch this thing.
think I'm going to try to turn it on and get the #6 relic program set and try it in my test garden

LOL Due to amount of research I did prior to getting mine (including downloading and reading the manual), I was familiar with assembly. Not that it requires a lot of instruction. As soon as I got mine I put it all together. I waited a day before I pushed the power button!! :rolleyes:

remember this when reading andys book he hunts with more discrim than most of us. I hunt like Gary does over in the uk because those guys know how to hunt iron. I am not a fan of the discrim being over 1 because when you do that you start knocking the nails out that you need to hear to locate sites. If you train yourself with low discrim your ear will get in tune with the machine and you will be able to pick the non ferroues targets out.
Thanks for the tips Calabash. I'm soaking up everything I can. Andy mentions Several times in the book so far about the different settings in the US vs UK. What I took away from Gary's videos were mainly the basic functions and their interactions. VMI Digger has also offered to give me a hand so I feel pretty blessed with the amount of resources I have available. I wish the same for Cletus!:occasion14:

Thanks to Rick for helping me to understand the Deus a little more.
I set it up with the program that Calabash came up with.

tell us whats going on with yours cletus so we can all diagnose the problem. If I dont post back today know that I got the flu and cant hardly hold my head up.

everything seems to be coming together.
had to move the frequency up to 17 to get the machine to quiet down.
took the sensitivity up to 92. now it is sounding off strong on the 10" quarter ,dime ,nickel and bullet.
I will be taking a hunt tomorrow morning!!!!

try 12 kh or 7 kh when you get out to another place 7 kh will tag deep silvers! OMT something to remeber the deus sounds off better on DEEP SILVER coins than clad.

Dead on Calabash. Been hunting for a couple of weeks with Disc at 1, Full tones and am starting to get the hang of it. I now like it better than gold field. What is amazing is that full tones allow you to practially see what you are swinging the coil over. That is, you can hear a nice solid tone for a round object like a coin, but if its crunched up aluminum or some other irregular piece of metal, you can hear the the distortion in the sound due to the irregular shape of the target. I am starting to be able to tell the subtle tone difference between a pull tab, gold ring, and nickel now even though they all ring up in the 50's. An intact pull tab is still difficult to separate from the other quality targets but if it is bent or distorted or a beaver tail, it definitely whines off the trailing edge of the target when you swing the coil. Full tones are truly amazing.

Congrats Cletus and Palmetto on your new toys and happy hunting. But a word of caution, be careful of the "gotchas" in the preloaded programs. They are great starting point (especially Deus Fast which is the starting point basis for all my custom programs), but they do have some quirky default parameter settings that can make them less than ideal. Especially watch out for Silencer settings that are greater than 0. Every time you manually adjust Reactivity, the Silence defaults to a setting associated with that Reactivity setting. It is never 0, therefore, if you adjust the reactivity, make sure you adjust Silencer back to 0. And as Calabash mentioned, Andy is neither a fan of Disc = 1 or Full Tones. You don't need to start out with minimum discrimination and full tones, but eventually you will want to go there to get the maximum performance out of the Deus.

Now get out there and hunt!

Mine is only a few weeks old, Has been to dug out Civil War a couple times now and using a customized relic program it is sucking stuff out of the ground. I am also find a hand forged burned iron nail ready very high. So I dig it too. Some of them are pretty nice. A copy of Andy's book came with me. It is brand new and a program #11 and #12 with it. I use #11 in the hot Virginia ground where it is doing so well, and #6 for relics around here. Pulled 3 more quarters out of front lawn just before dark today.

your catching on vfferari about them there full tones.

Yeah, figured it out (full tones/minimum discrimination) now got to listen for those deep whisper targets for relics and old coins - still training my ear for those high tones. Too used to cherry picking clad off the surface layer (i.e., where your pinpointer can see the target before you attempt recovery) or in sand. Got to do some research on possible sites and permissions closer to home to get some practice in where those targets may actually exist and where a shovel vice probe/digging tool is permitted. Hope you are getting over that nasty bug, ok.

Last edited:
man its bad! I turned my audio resnonce up to 4 on the sifter and 5 on my relic program makes the deep one come through better.

Thanks. I will try those settings. Now I just need a field.

Need to take a pic of her. She is a banner find!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back