Lots of walking few results this morning.

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+

Attachments

• IMG_2203.jpeg
    IMG_2203.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 38
Upvote 4
At least with light-colored chert/flint you should be able to pick them out on about any dirt surface👍

I used to walk a few cornfields mid-summer and usually chose sites with light colored chert/flint in mind. It was much easier for me to pick out the pieces from the soil.

IMHO... NAs may have chosen/used light colored lithics when available. (Quartz, chert/flint, Quartzite on+on)

Why wouldn't you? Literally half your day is dark🤷‍♂️

Saves on battery life🤪

It's a beautiful day. So glad you got out to enjoy it....and some nice pieces to boot!

vfm

At least with light-colored chert/flint you should be able to pick them out on about any dirt surface👍

I used to walk a few cornfields mid-summer and usually chose sites with light colored chert/flint in mind. It was much easier for me to pick out the pieces from the soil.

IMHO... NAs may have chosen/used light colored lithics when available. (Quartz, chert/flint, Quartzite on+on)

Why wouldn't you? Literally half your day is dark🤷‍♂️

Saves on battery life🤪

It's a beautiful day. So glad you got out to enjoy it....and some nice pieces to boot!

vfm
Yes. Some of them really stand out against the brown sand background.
Especially after a rain. Some seem to shine.

You’re finding some really good quality Burlington. The one I circled is some really good stuff. I learned to knap with Burlington. A lot of it is unforgiving but the high grade stuff is top shelf for midwestern flint.
IMG_2420.jpeg

You’re finding some really good quality Burlington. The one I circled is some really good stuff. I learned to knap with Burlington. A lot of it is unforgiving but the high grade stuff is top shelf for midwestern flint.View attachment 2110348
I may try my hand at it this winter. I’ve got several thin pieces that are 1-1/2” to 2” size. Thanks

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back