Mar 2, 2016
Oss
Detector(s) used
garret ace 250, garret ace 300I
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Lot of ID's needed on ww2 stuff..

Hello fellow diggers,
I went to the 'grebbeberg' today, its a small mountain with a lot of ww1 and ww2 history. (In the Netherlands)

I found these weird pieces and think most of them are grenade fragments.

If they are fragments can someone tell me from what grenade or artillery shell?
I'm very interested in the most upper left one, i've never seen anything like it.

The first 2 photos are front and backside of the possible fragments, The 2euro coin is about the size of a dollar coin.

In the last 2 photos I got some weird items
A small lead ball, a possible fuse ? Or weird screw(on the side of the screw are the letters DCO) , and a modern of military popper ?

Any help is appreciated !!

Sorry for my broken english, english isnt my mother tongue..
4fb88af0ae7b64f54f417dc5e23b33a1.jpg
a549bc674e2e08e7938cd18fbc414bf6.jpg
8670cdff782cc34320dbf95733198b46.jpg
9787c57bdb95752332d11ea85abe086f.jpg

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Sorry the last 2 photos didnt work, here they are..
72aec91e052a5429aa3d97ce35bb8032.jpg
6f5129e2efa8c2b4065cc4e0d4ef0165.jpg

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Upvote 0
Threaded piece looks like a tire valve stem

Upvote 0
Yea youve got shrapnel. Someone found some pieces on the beach where they practiced bombing during WWII but i cant find the old posts.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thank you for telling us English is not your mother tongue. Your writing in English is very good. What nation do you live in?

Grenade fragments and artillery shell fragments would be made of steel. The pieces you found appear to be brass or copper. They are from an artillery shell's "sabot" -- which is also called the "driving band" or "rotating ring." It is the part of the projectile which is gripped by the cannon's rifling grooves. The long flat-topped ridges you see on one side of the brass/copper sabot fragments were made by the cannon's rifling grooves. You will see them in one of the photos I've attached at the end of this message. The multiple (many) small squares on the back of one sabot fragment fit into corresponding shapes on the projectile's sides, to help the sabot keep a tight grip on the shell's body. Here are some photos which show you what I am talking about. One shows a fired "dud" artillery shell ("dud" means unexploded because the shell's fuze failed to work). The other photo shows a fired shell with its brass (or copper) sabot missing, revealing the small projections which help the sabot ring keep its grip on the shell's body.

If you have trouble understanding my answer in English, tell me, and I will try again by using different words.

I think the brass disc with four "stars" is rivet button/snap from a cloth uniform or from a soldier's equipment, such as an ammunition pouch.

Attachments

• WW1_shell_Shrapnel_US_3point8inch.jpg
    WW1_shell_Shrapnel_US_3point8inch.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 79
  • WW2_WorldWar2_shell_75millimeter_antitank_sideview_ebay.jpg
    WW2_WorldWar2_shell_75millimeter_antitank_sideview_ebay.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Great explanation CBG!. The fragments I saw found on the beach were also brass or copper with grooves. I cant find the old thread.

Upvote 0
Thank you for telling us English is not your mother tongue. Your writing in English is very good. What nation do you live in?

Grenade fragments and artillery shell fragments would be made of steel. The pieces you found appear to be brass or copper. They are from an artillery shell's "sabot" -- which is also called the "driving band" or "rotating ring." It is the part of the projectile which is gripped by the cannon's rifling grooves. The long flat-topped ridges you see on one side of the brass/copper sabot fragments were made by the cannon's rifling grooves. You will see them in one of the photos I've attached at the end of this message. The multiple (many) small squares on the back of one sabot fragment fit into corresponding shapes on the projectile's sides, to help the sabot keep a tight grip on the shell's body. Here are some photos which show you what I am talking about. One shows a fired "dud" artillery shell ("dud" means unexploded because the shell's fuze failed to work). The other photo shows a fired shell with its brass (or copper) sabot missing, revealing the small projections which help the sabot ring keep its grip on the shell's body.

If you have trouble understanding my answer in English, tell me, and I will try again by using different words.

I think the brass disc with four "stars" is rivet button/snap from a cloth uniform or from a soldier's equipment, such as an ammunition pouch.

Thanks for the answer ! It was very clear :)
Do you know from what shell they could've been ?

Upvote 0
Unfortunately there is no way to know which nation's army or type of artillery shell your sabot pieces are from. The copper (or brass) band/ring sabot was discovered to be the best (most effective) form of artillery shell sabot back in the 1870s/1880s. It has been used ever since then, by every army (and navy) in the world, and is still being used on artillery shells in the 21st Century. Here is a website which shows the many sizes of copper (or brass) ring/band sabots on artilelry shells.
An Introduction To Collecting Artillery Shells And Shell Casings - International Ammunition Association

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back