Looks like a warmup in the forecast...!

TreasureGuy25

Dec 1, 2009
North Suburbs, IL
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Ace 250, ProPointer
Looks like we could get some sun towards the end of the week (after this snow of course!) I'm getting out this Saturday no matter what I've decided (35 degrees and mostly sunny around me), hopefully some of the snow will melt by then. Any suggestions on where to hunt in general? I went out to the woods earlier this month but it seems like the ground was just too frozen where ever I looked! I really wanted to try out my new coil and pinpointer. Any suggestions would be helpful!

And if anyone wants to get out of the house this weekend, post or PM me and we could get a hunt together.

Thanks,

Ted

when you go out look for places that face the south. south side of a grove of trees, or barn, anyplace that has a good southern exposure with little to no wind should have soft enough dirt to dig in

Hey Ted, we got our social fix yesterday, only deepening the need for the dirt fix. Not sure I'm gonna get out but I'm betting you could wrangle a few hearty folks out Saturday.

Sorry you couldn't make it out with us on Sunday! Temp isn't a big factor for me this time of the year - I've hunted in the mid-low 20's. It'a the darn snow pack that will keep me home. There's got to be enough melt to get my coil down close to the ground to swing effectively. Hopefully it will be warm enough to melt this week, but I'm not getting my hopes up too high. I'd stay out of the fields and only hit the woods if I were you just because you don't want to do any turf damage. This weather is making me feel like Nanook. :-\

Dreamed I was an Eskimo
Frozen winds began to blow
Under my boots and around my toes
It was a hundred degrees below ze-ro....

I agree with Kimsdad, I've tried to get out as much as possible this winter, but if there is more than an inch or two on the ground, it is a no go, which is why most of February has been so poor for hunting. Anywhere in the woods that has a thick permanent cover of fallen leaves on the ground should be dig-able. I was out on Saturday and the ground was super soft at my site. If you are willing to deal with mud and cold, the woods generally are good throughout the winter when the snow depth is not an issue. Plus, you can grab some shed deer antlers so Etrac007 and Lookin4Seated wont get them...

I'm with the majority here. I'm dying to swing but not with all the snow under the coil. It's just not worth it. There isn't much worse than four pounds of mud on a one pound digger, mud blocks for boots, and a pocketful of muddy wine caps and shotgun shells.

Good luck if you head out.

Joe

I did go out today for 2 hours. Mud wasn't the problem, wet sticky snow on my coil was. Didn't find any coins but I did find a harmonica reed, copper coin bezel(that's what it looks like), and a silver spoon that says 1860 pairpoint mfg co 6
This was my first try at winter woods hunting and yesterdays gathering of fellow MD'ERS inspired me

Dirt fishing Wolf said:
I did go out today for 2 hours. Mud wasn't the problem, wet sticky snow on my coil was. Didn't find any coins but I did find a harmonica reed, copper coin bezel(that's what it looks like), and a silver spoon that says 1860 pairpoint mfg co 6
This was my first try at winter woods hunting and yesterdays gathering of fellow MD'ERS inspired me

I hope it turns out to be silver. I have found a lot of relatively modern plated utensils stamped with dates ranging from the mid-19th century and on up. A lot of these utensils are kind of like those Catholic crucifixes that are stamped with early dates...they weren't made then, but perhaps that date is important somehow (i.e. the date the item was patented). Of course, the vast majority of the "silverware" I find ring up like nickels are look as if they have been thrown through a woodchipper. Still waiting for my first real silver (not plated) utensil.

Joe

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back