Looking to positively ID this .. Either a Cannon Ball or Grinding Ball…

itsConnorStade

Aug 14, 2024
Found in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada — Rosedale Area/Lower East End.

First photo is right after the piece was unearthed - Second photo is after a quick clean and passover with a wire brush — Third photo is after all rust/corrosion has been gently removed/chipped away.. another passover with the wire brush, rinsed and there you have it.

Measurements:

2 1/2 Inches in Diameter

Weighing 2 Pounds 6 Ounces

12 Inches Below Surface

Attachments

• IMG_0862.jpeg
    IMG_0862.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0897.jpeg
    IMG_0897.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0900.jpeg
    IMG_0900.jpeg
    1,001.6 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
I found a website with info on some Canadian cannon balls.
Cannon ball
Cannon ball
Object

This is a cannonball from the War of 1812 with a circumference of 15.2 cm and a diameter of 5 cm.

I can't say with any gravitas that this is what you have, but is that about the size & weight?

I found a website with info on some Canadian cannon balls.

I can't say with any gravitas that this is what you have, but is that about the size & weight?
That is definitely close, unfortunately I couldn’t see that website on my phone so I’ll have to take a closer look on my computer tonight but,

The Circumference is just under 20 CM — The Diameter is half of that.

Flat Surface to top is 6 CM (Without the curve)

Been gathering more evidence to confirm whether or not it is indeed a cannon ball. After being cleaned and weighed again, it matches pretty closely to a previous discovery of one.

I’ve reached out to Ontario Archeological society - Hamilton Chapter to get expert opinions and possibly donate.

The story has it that Hamilton’s British forces set up camp at Burlington Heights which is now where Dundurn Castle is.

American troops marched from Niagara and set up camp at The Gage Family Homestead which is now the Battlefield house and memorial.

In the cover of nightfall, British troops marched from Burlington Heights(Dundurn castle) to the Gage family homestead (Battlefield House in Stoney Creek).

If you look up from Dundurn Castle to Battlefield house on Google maps — Put Walking — This is what you get.

I am the blue dot 🔵 and the cannon ball was found where the red pin is 📍.

IMG_0912.jpeg

“The British Royal Artillery and the United States Artillery shared the same system of calibres consisting of 3-pdr. (2.91 inch bore diameter), 6-pdr, (3.67 in.), 9-pdr. (4.20 in.), 12-pdr. (4.62 in.), 18-pdr. (5.29 in.) and 24-pdr. (5.82 in.). The ammunition of both nations was thus interchangeable. — The bores of guns and howitzers were drilled larger than the diameters of their projectiles so that they could be loaded quickly. This difference in diameter of bore and shot was known as the "windage" and in the Royal Artillery was about 1/20 of the bore diameter.[4] Although necessary, the windage allowed the exploding gases of the propellant charge to escape around the projectile rather than act upon it and, accordingly, reduced both velocity and range.”

Attachments

• IMG_0915.jpeg
    IMG_0915.jpeg
    391.8 KB · Views: 7

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back