Attachments

• image-124029564.jpg
    image-124029564.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 143
  • image-2380616863.jpg
    image-2380616863.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:
It's a knife with the wooden handle rotted away and the holes left to attach it still present in the handle

Upvote 0
Maybe a bread cutter? is it in cm you are measuring the knife with?

Upvote 0
metal_detector.gif
Just a quick suggestion harris1 - unless I am missing it (having another senior moment) the maps are great but maybe the state would also help?

Upvote 0
Sorry new to forum and that's only way it seems to let me post with item and my location. And yes Lexington Ky

Upvote 0
I have several of that same blade,yours has seen some use....repeated sharpening

Upvote 0
Well sharpened over years of use. It's impossible to date a knife from looks, because knives have been around for so many hundreds of years that there is no shape that has not been made. Your knife has a very common shape and is in use today. Knives of that shape were called "scalping knives," when traded with the Indians. Skinning knives had/have a different shape.
Dexter-Scalper.jpgThis is probably close to what you knife looked like when new. Green River skinner.jpg This one is the traditional skinning knife.

Upvote 0
Well sharpened over years of use. It's impossible to date a knife from looks, because knives have been around for so many hundreds of years that there is no shape that has not been made. Your knife has a very common shape and is in use today. Knives of that shape were called "scalping knives," when traded with the Indians. Skinning knives had/have a different shape.
View attachment 762050This is probably close to what you knife looked like when new. View attachment 762055 This one is the traditional skinning knife.

Agree. Well used butcher knife sharpened many many times. My dad still has some like these at home in the kitchen from the early 1960's.

DCMatt

Upvote 0
Found in field metal detecting , wandering what era it's from much thanks to whomever responds.

staticmap
Definatly a Butcher's knife, more specifically, a boning knife. Age, because of the wooden "cheeks", turn of the last century or so. Here are some typical knives. :thumbsup:

Attachments

• Butcher knives.JPG
    Butcher knives.JPG
    157.4 KB · Views: 93
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back