digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Southeast Grundy, Illinois
Detector(s) used
EQ600, EQ800 and a Carrot
Primary Interest:
Other
I posted this on Today's Find's a few day's ago with some other things I dug. What I would like to know is what type of vehicle it may have been on. What I do know is that it is a Leece-Neville 2" Amp Gauge Vintage - Model 354.

Any car expert's help me out on this one. DSCF1584.JPG

Thanks
Steve

I am by no means an expert on old cars, but I own a couple of them, and have been around them most of my life.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leece-Neville

I can not recall seeing one like this before. Here is a list of cars, it "might" have come from:

Pierce, Chalmers, Metz, Mitchel, Saxon, Simplex or ACME. These cars are from the 19teens... brass touring car type stuff. My knowledge starts just after these vehicles.

The Wiki entry says that they were involved in a lot more than just passenger cars, airplanes, fire trucks etc., so this could be from another application.

I hope that this helps.

Upvote 0
There is not a lot to go on here. Like Tom said. the application could be endless and could even go into Early Generators or monitoring equipment. You will not be able to pin point what it came off of unless you find another piece of what ever it came off of in the vicinity. Me thinks dead end.

Upvote 0
I am by no means an expert on old cars, but I own a couple of them, and have been around them most of my life.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leece-Neville

I can not recall seeing one like this before. Here is a list of cars, it "might" have come from:

Pierce, Chalmers, Metz, Mitchel, Saxon, Simplex or ACME. These cars are from the 19teens... brass touring car type stuff. My knowledge starts just after these vehicles.

The Wiki entry says that they were involved in a lot more than just passenger cars, airplanes, fire trucks etc., so this could be from another application.

I hope that this helps.

Thanks Carolina. The reason I thought it was from a car was the only info I could find mentioned Ford. Looks like it will be an eternal "what is this?" That's a list of impressive cars. Maybe there's a brass headlight down there somewhere:laughing7:

Thanks again,
Steve

Upvote 0
There is not a lot to go on here. Like Tom said. the application could be endless and could even go into Early Generators or monitoring equipment. You will not be able to pin point what it came off of unless you find another piece of what ever it came off of in the vicinity. Me thinks dead end.

I think your right. I know where I found it so maybe I'll do a little more investigating. Thanks tr!

Upvote 0
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Upvote 0
I think Willard Battery in Cleveland had some patent on a "starting and lighting" system. The item looks like an ammeter from from one but which manufacture's vehicle......???

Upvote 0
you might be able to find your answer by pouring over images of antique car instrument panels or dash boards. The scalloped cut out at the bottom of the gauge tells me it's most likely from a car produced in the 30's when Art Deco design influenced practically everything

Upvote 0
For what it's worth here's an intact one: VINTAGE LEECE-NEVILLE MODEL 354 AMPERE (CHARGING) GAUGE DASHBOARD PANEL OEM | eBay
And using the legible patent number in that one I found the patent: https://www.google.com/patents/US1528460
But, it is stated that while it was largely targeting automotive applications, it had many other uses... so, after all that we still have no answer to the question of what it was off of. Dang.

Thanks for the research nh! This will probably drive me nuts for awhile. Maybe there's something in the ground where I found it that will give me some more clue's. Thanks again!

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Upvote 0
you might be able to find your answer by pouring over images of antique car instrument panels or dash boards. The scalloped cut out at the bottom of the gauge tells me it's most likely from a car produced in the 30's when Art Deco design influenced practically everything

Now there's an idea! I'll try that. Some what zeroing in on a date that it may have been used. Sounds like it's pretty old, and I like old!

Thanks, Jewelerguy:icon_thumleft:

Upvote 0

From the picture you posted I think I can make out that is a model 354, just like the one in the eBay link. That link will show you why the bottom is scalloped. It's not decorative, it is for function.

I kicked around briefly on Google. This ammeter may have been installed on factory produced cars but I think it was also sold as an aftermarket accessory. If that is the case then it could have been installed on anything, even a farm tractor.

Upvote 0
From the picture you posted I think I can make out that is a model 354, just like the one in the eBay link. That link will show you why the bottom is scalloped. It's not decorative, it is for function.

I kicked around briefly on Google. This ammeter may have been installed on factory produced cars but I think it was also sold as an aftermarket accessory. If that is the case then it could have been installed on anything, even a farm tractor.

The farm tractor idea maybe the best choice, because I'm out in the middle of corn. Thanks!

Upvote 0
Cool find!

Is it just me or what? This VINTAGE,repurpose, etc etc word craze is annoying as hell..

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back