Looking for someone near Frostproof,FL

Know where to go but haven't asked for permission yet. I would like to hit the Ft Clinch site by the lake and the other side of the street in the orange groves. Ft Green is in the area too.

I never did locate the exact site of Ft. Green.....It was used for a small amount of time, and I believe, just a fortified house with militia...and might have been reactivated during the Civil War with Union sympathizers.

I have some drawings with Ft. Clinch diagrammed with relation to the lake.

There was a blockhouse a little ways from Ft Chokonikla...I'm not sure who owns the land...I need to get out my maps and narrow down the parcel.

I've never heard of anyone ever finding Ft Mendo...I have one map that shows the S/T/R that it is on in the platt.

I would go with you if you have permission on any of these....If you run into any roadblocks with a landowner afraid of letting someone on their land with no insurance, I can take care of that.

Oh...I think Ft Arbuckle is in the bombing range.....and Frasier and Carol have been dug up by the phosphate mines as far as I know.

I live in the Orlando area and I usually wait for winter so most of the vegetation is down before I start making long trips. I'm about 20 minutes from Ft Mellon and 5 minutes from Ft Maitland. I've only found one Great Coat button at Ft Maitland but have done much better at the Ft Mellon/Reed sites in the past.

I meant to show you this to see if you might be able to ID it or if you thought it was period. It was found on the golf course by fort 1 where the gold coin was found. I don't have a reverse pic of the buckle. I personally don't think it's period but it sure gave me a jolt when I dug it. The first thing I thought of was military buckle but it's not big enough for the belt/waist area.

Glenn

image-1835789281.jpg

That doesn't match any military style buckles that I have seen....If it is period, it could be civilian, self-supplied militia, or a non-military saddle part.

View attachment 640269

Here are my last detected items from Heritage park in Ft M. They were found with an F-75 and sounded terrible. The park has been picked clean but you know the old saying "no site is completely hunted out". This was last year. My friend still goes occasionally and still makes some decent finds but primarily from private yards. Only 2 period coins came out of the park that I know of and they were both 1840's seated dimes. I'm sure there were many many many coins and other high tone items found there in the past before we got there, probably by that "nice man" that we both encountered! So we concentrated on just mid tones and even some larger iron targets. It was amazing how many artillery buttons, percussion caps and items like in the picture above started popping up!. We are very close to getting exclusive permission to do some detecting and pit digging on the north side of Ft #1. We already spent several hundred hours there collectively before the land owner got wise and decided we shouldn't be there but that may change soon.

This is my buddy detecting on Ft #1 one evening a couple of years ago. Seems like yesterday! As you can see the ground conditions were perfect especially in the winter.

image-566711567.jpg

More Heritage finds.

image-4076099477.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back