Looking for a Old Picnic GROVE

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In one of my books I have a picture of a Bridge crossing a big creek. It is said to be a popular picnic area in the 1880 1890's I have been searching this area and feel i am getting real close. I took pictures of a old what I think is part of a hand water pump. Enclosed are some pictures of what is left of it. I placed a blue 1 gallon container next to it to make it easier to find .My feelings are that maybe this was close to the picnic area. It is about 100 yards from the river. What else would someone have it there ? Looking for ideas and hints

well1.jpg
well3.jpg

Sure looks like you could be near it. If it were me, I’d detect around it into various directions and see what I dig up.
I have started doing just that. I just wonder why would they put a water pump there for any other reason ?
Thanks for your reply Relicmeister

I would guess 800 yards from the road and 200 yards from the creek

Could that thing next to the blue marker be ANYTHING BUT PART of a PUMP ???

Did you find anything in the area around the item that is sticking out of the ground?

All i found in the area so far is 8 Shotgun shells cases. Nothing on the cases just the head stamps . A rusted half part of OLD !! Pocket knife. and one maybe 8 to 10 inch square nail.i have just started exploring this area and had a lot of rain the last few days

I'd be careful around the pump as to not to fall in. They are usually mounted to a wood or concrete base that covers the well and time takes a toll on whatever it's made of. Is there a well cover or did someone just stick the pipe there?

The picnic groves were maintained by the RI DEM Division of Parks & Recreation. With the creation of Rte 4, 95 & 295 they became obsolete as traffic bypassed them. If you're 65 or older you and your parents may have stopped at a grove returning from the beaches or from out of state.

In one of my books I have a picture of a Bridge crossing a big creek. It is said to be a popular picnic area in the 1880 1890's I have been searching this area and feel i am getting real close. I took pictures of a old what I think is part of a hand water pump. Enclosed are some pictures of what is left of it. I placed a blue 1 gallon container next to it to make it easier to find .My feelings are that maybe this was close to the picnic area. It is about 100 yards from the river. What else would someone have it there ? Looking for ideas and hints

View attachment 2061992View attachment 2061993

Congrats!

The single bolt on top should have a mate on the other side. They clamped the open ended ears of the pump housing to the base.
Sink pumps had/have a flat side on the upper piece you have in your picture. Allowing pump to be nearer the sink. Vs a completely round base.

Ladies; had time off. Sometimes expecting them to hike to the creek in thier good shoes and cloths to get wash water or wash thier hands is asking a bit much and lacks appreciation.
A pump would go far in encouraging participation in social functions outdoors. Heck , a guy could get a slice of pie that way , perhaps.

No tank or wooden box showing. Water could be used to chill or keep things cool too. Without getting wet feet or taking a tumble on the creek bank.

Too , horses needed water.
Sure they could be taken to the creek. But while harnessed and hooked up to a conveyance?
Maybe better to bring water to the horses ; than be in the creek with a buggy trying to find reverse.

Some creeks varied in volume by season. And the potability of water often in question.
Water drawn from an aquifer than filtered through the ground offered better odds of not getting ill.
And was cooler usually.

A source I've used during outages and just to use in summer is an artesian well very near a creek. In fact it discharges into a creek. Upstream are remnants of an old concrete tank/box.
Other creeks show them to.
I'm guessing either to chill fresh milk before transportation; or just to keep perishables cool. Or to have cool picnic drinks!

All i found in the area so far is 8 Shotgun shells cases. Nothing on the cases just the head stamps . A rusted half part of OLD !! Pocket knife. and one maybe 8 to 10 inch square nail.i have just started exploring this area and had a lot of rain the last few days
Keep at it, Gare!
Sounds like you are close!
The shot shell head-stamps are dateable as previous visitors to the grove may have noticed turkeys, pheasants or grouse hanging out there too..!.
The large cut nail…construction - a building nearby, perhaps…??
Good luck and Happy hunting!

Keep at it, Gare!
Sounds like you are close!
The shot shell head-stamps are dateable as previous visitors to the grove may have noticed turkeys, pheasants or grouse hanging out there too..!.
The large cut nail…construction - a building nearby, perhaps…??
Good luck and Happy hunting!
Thank you for your words of encourgement

SIX X - Y
Just reading up on that one-as I haven't tried it out as of yet.
It should be able to sniff out any deeper targets that might give you some clues if you're in the right spot.

I've played around with NINE and compared it to ONE and there was big difference on even detecting the target.
The recoveries of over a foot down has impressed me enough to warrant more usage of the RELIC program.
Getting a totally rotted head stamp (basically the primer) from that depth.

Just reading up on that one-as I haven't tried it out as of yet.
It should be able to sniff out any deeper targets that might give you some clues if you're in the right spot.

I've played around with NINE and compared it to ONE and there was big difference on even detecting the target.
The recoveries of over a foot down has impressed me enough to warrant more usage of the RELIC program.
Getting a totally rotted head stamp (basically the primer) from that depth.
so which one are you using ?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back