Looking at a Cochise 36

Curious if anyone has experience with the Cochise Model 36 drill, thereā€™s a guy local to me that has one for sale.
No experience, but it's gotta be a relic from a bygone era. If it needs parts you might be hard pressed to ever find them. Only way to know if it's gonna drill is put some air to it. Try and get a picture of it to post. I know a guy that loves to collect old rockdrills from the past. He once asked me to keep my eyes out for any of the old LeRoi-Cleveland rockdrills once made. It was a drill we had in the mine I worked at in the 1970s-80s for draw point repairs, but they're no longer made anymore.

No experience, but it's gotta be a relic from a bygone era. If it needs parts you might be hard pressed to ever find them. Only way to know if it's gonna drill is put some air to it. Try and get a picture of it to post. I know a guy that loves to collect old rockdrills from the past. He once asked me to keep my eyes out for any of the old LeRoi-Cleveland rockdrills once made. It was a drill we had in the mine I worked at in the 1970s-80s for draw point repairs, but they're no longer made anymore.
They want 100 bucks for it and I have been looking for a drill. They claim itā€™s functional.

Attachments

• 4AC8867A-916C-4311-A008-4648F87C8AE6.png
    4AC8867A-916C-4311-A008-4648F87C8AE6.png
    519.5 KB · Views: 13
  • 830983AD-FD2D-4FE4-87DA-CACBB55C2D64.png
    830983AD-FD2D-4FE4-87DA-CACBB55C2D64.png
    330.8 KB · Views: 13
  • 7045ECAC-4321-4ABB-8D86-D722AC3E743E.png
    7045ECAC-4321-4ABB-8D86-D722AC3E743E.png
    542 KB · Views: 13
It looks pretty good and complete. A $100 bucks would be good for a working drill of that type. You'll need to know what type of drill shank it runs. Could be one with a hex 7/8" x 3-1/4" length or 4-1/4". Both drill rods are still available. Is the seller willing to stand behind their claim that it runs? I'd ask them that and if it doesn't work they gotta agree to take it back and give your hundred bucks back. It's definitely and oldie, but these type of machines can stay in service a long time with proper maintenance, which might be tough with that drill because of its age and being obsolete.

It looks pretty good and complete. A $100 bucks would be good for a working drill of that type. You'll need to know what type of drill shank it runs. Could be one with a hex 7/8" x 3-1/4" length or 4-1/4". Both drill rods are still available. Is the seller willing to stand behind their claim that it runs? I'd ask them that and if it doesn't work they gotta agree to take it back and give your hundred bucks back. It's definitely and oldie, but these type of machines can stay in service a long time with proper maintenance, which might be tough with that drill because of its age and being

Iā€™m looking for a drill to use at my familyā€™s place for getting through bedrock

It looks pretty good and complete. A $100 bucks would be good for a working drill of that type. You'll need to know what type of drill shank it runs. Could be one with a hex 7/8" x 3-1/4" length or 4-1/4". Both drill rods are still available. Is the seller willing to stand behind their claim that it runs? I'd ask them that and if it doesn't work they gotta agree to take it back and give your hundred bucks back. It's definitely and oldie, but these type of machines can stay in service a long time with proper maintenance, which might be tough with that drill because of its age and being obsolete.
Can you recommend a newer drill? I want to run water.

Can you recommend a newer drill? I want to run water.
That drill having a number 36 might mean it's a 40 lb class drill. Do you want one that size. A company I worked for sold quite a few of these Y26 drills which weigh around 40 lbs. One fella I sold one to maybe 8 or more years ago said it's a pretty sweet running drill and he still uses it for smaller blasting jobs. Only thing I can recall selling in parts was that retainer that holds the drill steel in. It is made in China, but it does seem to please everyone we sold them to and holds up great in their opinion.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back