Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this today, it came from a spot where every identifiable piece is trade era, no modern trash beyond occasional slugs and casings. Odds are high it’s roughly 200 years old but I’m at a loss for any kind of reasonable guess, it’s brass, no markings, and it has two dimples, not holes, like it was lightly crimped to…?… something wooden? I know it’s not a lot to work with but anyone have any guesses?
IMG_2589.jpeg
IMG_2590.jpeg
IMG_2591.jpeg
IMG_2592.jpeg
IMG_2593.jpeg

Last edited:
If I had recovered it I would be thinking it might have been attached to a wooden dowel/curtain rod. Something like a cover plate to hide the attachment that was secured to the wall.
Not sure if it would be in the 200 yr old range as you hoped.

Upvote 1
Backside of a door knob?
I thought of that, except if a screw was placed through the hole-how would the handle turn?

I might be missing something as the :coffee2: needs to kick in.

Upvote 1
I thought of that, except if a screw was placed through the hole-how would the handle turn?

I might be missing something as the :coffee2: needs to kick in.
I was thing more like the sleeve that was attached to the back of the knob. Such as a porcelain or glass knob and the shaft ran through it.

Upvote 1
I appreciate the thoughts and I’m not saying it can’t be something like that because things travel but I think worthwhile adding some pertinent information

The area only had white settlement since 1860, my family has owned the land since 1890, so Im pretty confident there has never been a house within a half mile, and the only thing construction related has been a handful of square nails, otherwise it’s flat buttons, gun parts, clay pipe parts, bullet scissor mold, round balls, trade metal points… and so on. That’s why I was thinking something along the lines of a oddball bit of a knife or maybe part of a powder measure, or maybe a bit of horse tack or a kettle… but I haven’t seen anything yet looking through my books and internet.

Upvote 0
I appreciate the thoughts and I’m not saying it can’t be something like that because things travel but I think worthwhile adding some pertinent information

The area only had white settlement since 1860, my family has owned the land since 1890, so Im pretty confident there has never been a house within a half mile, and the only thing construction related has been a handful of square nails, otherwise it’s flat buttons, gun parts, clay pipe parts, bullet scissor mold, round balls, trade metal points… and so on. That’s why I was thinking something along the lines of a oddball bit of a knife or maybe part of a powder measure, or maybe a bit of horse tack or a kettle… but I haven’t seen anything yet looking through my books and internet.
Sorry, have to pick at that logic. You need an ID FIRST, then make conclusions, not the other way around. Your close down options which could be correct.
Things get into the most amazing places & that is detecting.

Upvote 3
Sorry, have to pick at that logic. You need an ID FIRST, then make conclusions, not the other way around. Your close down options which could be correct.
Things get into the most amazing places & that is detecting.
I think we’re kind of saying the same thing… objects can show up in unexpected places. I just like to consider the site as a whole when coming up with an Id. if there’s mostly trade goods that’s where I like to start because that is most likely, then I move down the list of options. Trade goods-something dropped by a hunter- random people moving through the woods over the years-then your unexpected objects.
It’s easy to overlook information that seems old news to me because I know the site, I wasn’t trying to argue against the folks helping me I just felt like that adding that extra knowledge could change the way someone might think about it.
Hopefully I don’t sound like I’m shooting down opinions, I’m open to all suggestions.

Upvote 0
I think we’re kind of saying the same thing… objects can show up in unexpected places. I just like to consider the site as a whole when coming up with an Id. if there’s mostly trade goods that’s where I like to start because that is most likely, then I move down the list of options. Trade goods-something dropped by a hunter- random people moving through the woods over the years-then your unexpected objects.
It’s easy to overlook information that seems old news to me because I know the site, I wasn’t trying to argue against the folks helping me I just felt like that adding that extra knowledge could change the way someone might think about it.
Hopefully I don’t sound like I’m shooting down opinions, I’m open to all suggestions.
Nope, that's fine. I just think its better not to know anything about the Site, as it could lead to the wrong conclusions, although I know some on here like that detail.
Associated finds are only useful in a sealed archaeological context, then it makes sense to share the other finds info. IMO:thumbsup:

Upvote 2
Difficult to tell from photos but appears to be machine made.

Upvote 1
Maybe it’s not crimped to something maybe the dimples sat in a groove and allowed the piece to rotate, thinking something like a spy glass or a flashlight you twist to focus the beam?

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back