✅ SOLVED Long ornate smoking pipes?

flip4life

Jan 1, 2017
Midwest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found these 2 pipes at a garage/antique sale 6 months ago. They are very similar in size, shape and design...but not identical. The previous owner thought they might be opium pipes and he had them behind a desk and we're not for sale. since I have never seen anything like them and he didn't really want to sell them...I paid $60 for the pair. I would like to find out as much as I can about them...age, value, origin, metal composition, use etc. Here are item specifics and descriptions to the best of my ability...

Pipe #1)
***size: 25" long . Width ranges from 1/4" to 1/2". Bowl at distal end is 1/2" in diameter
*** There is a 2 1/2" band of decoration and inlay near both of the ends. the design is tribal or oriental design... but I do see swastikas thruout too....I could be reading into that.
***inlay appears to be stone...possibly turquoise...and is a teal or dark Jade color with some sections a dark bluish purple. The pigment is not solid thruout each color and has the appearance of stone, marble, or granite consistency...but with a richer pigment. It could possibly be a glaze I suppose.
***The shaft between the decorative sections is smooth and even in texture.
***There is a ridge on underbelly of the bowl measuring 3/4" long.
***I'm not sure of the metal composition...it is durable, Won't bend or bow even under heavy force. NOT MAGNETIC. Its light gold I think it's brass.
***Black gu

Pipe #2)
***Size: slightly shorter then the first at 22" long. Width ranges from 1/4" to 1/2". Bowl at distal end is 1/4" in diameter. It is similar to the first one, but it looks like the bowl has been shortened.
***It has the decorative bands of inlay at each end, but they area in between is completely covered in the same design as the ends...and as pipe 1.
***The inlay is white and peach in color. It looks like it could possibly be residue of some sort instead of the original inlay. *** There is a ridge on the under side of the bowl as well, but this one is a copper color.
***There is wear in the middle where it would have been held.
***NOT MAGNETIC
***Black residue inside the bowl. White residue inside the mouthpiece of both pipes.

Please help me identify:
1)what it is
2)what it's made of
3)where it's from
4)how old it is
5)what it's worth

IMG_20170103_000056478.jpgIMG_20170103_000111551.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20170103_000006151.jpg
    IMG_20170103_000006151.jpg
    852 KB · Views: 153
Last edited:
Those are made for the tourist trade. Although they are sold as opium pipes, they wouldn't be too effective being all metal. Decorative only. Chimeral Insight: The Opium Den

Many types of Asian pipes are mistaken for opium pipes, but there is only true opium pipe: one that was designed to vaporize the drug, not burn it. This was achieved by the means of a highly specialized pipe-bowl. The bowl, which looks like a door knob, was attached to a long stem by means of a metal fitting, referred to in English as a 'saddle'. The length of an opium pipe varied from approximately 15 inches to about 22 inches. The most common material from which pipe stems were made was bamboo, but Chinese artisans experimented with ivory, jade, horn, porcelain, as well as enamels.

Upvote 0
Flip, to get that dark residue out of there try soaking them in Isopropyl
alcohol.

Upvote 0
Acetone nail polish remover works really fast and evaporates quickly.

Upvote 0
Those are made for the tourist trade. Although they are sold as opium pipes, they wouldn't be too effective being all metal. Decorative only. Chimeral Insight: The Opium Den

Many types of Asian pipes are mistaken for opium pipes, but there is only true opium pipe: one that was designed to vaporize the drug, not burn it. This was achieved by the means of a highly specialized pipe-bowl. The bowl, which looks like a door knob, was attached to a long stem by means of a metal fitting, referred to in English as a 'saddle'. The length of an opium pipe varied from approximately 15 inches to about 22 inches. The most common material from which pipe stems were made was bamboo, but Chinese artisans experimented with ivory, jade, horn, porcelain, as well as enamels.

Thanks for the link. My Mom had an antique in the 60's-80's and those little pipes would show from time to time. We thought they were opium pipes also.

Upvote 0
I agree that they are made for the tourist trade and you can find them in most china town shops.

But they are for smoking cigarettes (cigarette holder) and NOT for Opium.

AARC posted a very good link to the Opium Trade. Opium Museum - Photo Gallery
Check it out and you will not see this type of "pipe"

Upvote 0
Thanks guys for the info...my parents owned an antique shop growing up, so needless to say my house is infested with unique items. Most I know exactly what it is before I buy it, or at least know how to find out...but there are a few things that have stumped me. Most of them taboo or obscure. I know most of you are treasure hunters, bit thank you for allowing me to explore my treasures further, even if they weren't found underground. So if you don't mind I have a few more to figure out since I've been impressed with the wide scope of knowledge here. I just wish I could find out how much they are worth...

Upvote 0
Some antique stores have hidden treasures that often the owners don't recognize.
I saw a box of tools on the floor at a shop. Mostly old files but then under all the files I found
an Enfield Civil War bayonet worth about $250. Ya never know.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back