AmishAbe

Tenderfoot
Jan 19, 2016
Mt. Sinai NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Need help, My first flat button-is a Tombac? The other looks like a medal but after searching thousands of images I can't find a match. The medal? still has some gold leafing on it and some purple paint IMG_3545.JPGIMG_3546.JPGIMG_3554.JPG

I found one similar to yours. By your middle finger on the back is a pin?
If so I think it has something to do with a decorative belt to a lady's dress.
That's just a guess. Hopefully you get a definite answer.

Upvote 0
Here's pic of back, Rick

image.jpg
I found one similar to yours. By your middle finger on the back is a pin?
If so I think it has something to do with a decorative belt to a lady's dress.
That's just a guess. Hopefully you get a definite answer.

There's a bar along back. I see we are close, I live in Mt. Sinai

Upvote 0
I'm no expert on anything, but I've read that Tombac refers to the alloy mix, rather than certain designs or shank settings. That alloy gives a bright color without any need of gilt or plating. I can't tell if the dark spot on the front is just corroded, or if it's peeling? Either way, a very nice find IMO, especially with design on the face. Don't know about the brass relic.

Upvote 0
That tombac button is very nice! I would definitely think that the other object is a Victorian period ladies buckle but I'm no expert. It just looks more feminine than masculine.

Upvote 0
how can an amish guy use a metal detector?

Upvote 0
Long story short, years ago a drunk co worker tried calling me 'honest Abe' but he was slurring and it came out 'Amish Abe' and the name stuck

Upvote 0
The button does not have the typical design of a tombac. Is that a two piece button? It sure is a beauty

Upvote 0
The button is most certainly a Tombac button, c. 1790s. The other piece is most certainly a ladies sash buckle of some sort, given the bar on the back and the "male/female" construction of two halves that fit together. You have the "female piece."

Regards,

Buck

Upvote 0
I want to thank everyone with their help, looks like everyone nailed it ! Not a medal but half of a vintage buckle, a medal would of been cooler but still a nice find. Although I can't find an exact match online their are similar which makes it beyond a doubt it's a sash/ belt buckle.

Upvote 0
The button is most certainly a Tombac button, c. 1790s. The other piece is most certainly a ladies sash buckle of some sort, given the bar on the back and the "male/female" construction of two halves that fit together. You have the "female piece."

Regards,

Buck

Another half or a belt/shash with a bent clip on the end that simply hooks over the bar.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back