loggistics nightmare to nome

postcode

Tenderfoot
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to everyone with a passion for life and adventure.
What’s keeping me up at night is the desire to jump on a flight to Nome and mine the bearing sea for gold.
I have a backer who is prepared to put up some research funds with the idea of backing a full season if I can show it’s a gamble worth taking. I’ve worked as an engineer, Plant op and with the armed forces so I have good work ethics but no experience in mining gold.
It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to be able to put dirt in a box “Luke 7 chapter 6”.
I recon the best way to recover gold is a self contained pontoon dredge but I have no idea as to how to get it there or how easy it would be to secure a good claim. I was thinking the next step would be to get feet on the ground in Nome and make some contacts. Any offers of help or constructive criticism welcome, P.s. if there’s no ferries or roads to Nome, how do you get your cars there? Cheers P.C

Barges and airplanes is about your only options. Never been there, but have heard is due a liberal budget with the most accurate numbers and then triple it.. Best of luck, hope you find a great adventure and gold a plenty.... PS if you have no experience dredging, I would get some hose time and experience before I trek off to such a remote area... JHM0

Wel iv been looking also and think your on the right path to go look around first . Flying is the only way and there r a few ways to recreational mine there but your best bet would be to gain some diving experience and dredging time and offer yourself as a free diver or pay some one to do a working vacation thing .

Your experience youmwill gain will be worth more more than the pay could ever be
There are public rec relation dredging areas but your really going to occur a lot of cost just getting a dredge on the ground there
Plus gas storage ect
I really don't like the pontoon dredges they don't handle the waves very well and don't offer rest room or ways to feed yourself if you out for a while
Iv had the idea of pulling a dredge behind a small cabin cruiser wich would allow dredging in rough er water along with a place to rest and eat ect

From what iv found they r really,over run in nome since the bearing seas gold show came out ...
A safe harbor during the storms is getting to be a problem and that's a must so research befor doing
There's a lot more who go broke than those who manage to make it

And would agree nozzel time cost much less in the lower 48 tha. In nome

Thanx for the heads up. It seems to me with everyone heading to Nome, It might be best to wait till the seasons over and there selling the dredges off for the price of a flight ticket. I wish.
I recon with the price of gold and the chance of making it rich, this gold rush will last a very long time.
The problem with overcrowding can only get worse. I can see the authorities capping the number of licenses issued, leading to licenses been offered for hire / reward like claims.
I feel if we don’t get in there soon the ship to Nome will sail without me. I hope I get the chance to sample the rush. Cheers rob.

Hi Mr G1, I live in England but the flight ticket to Nome is the least of my problems, The biggest drain on resources seems to be accommodation and storage. I need someone with feet on the ground in Nome to sourse a local willing to house swap for a couple of months! Ha!
I was talking to someone who told me there was 75 new suction dredges and 5 Christine roses in the harbour this year. I recon this number is set to multiply next season unless the locals get upset and file for a cap on licences.
The more hurdles I come across the more found respect I have for the old time miners who did it with a set of crampons, bag of beef jerky and a sledge.
I’m starting to think it would be a better investment to get a ferry out there and take the men and equipment back and forth to Nome, Thing is, who would buy me a drink in the bar to listen to that story? Cheers rob/

Don't forget you will also need a claim/lease.... You don't just show up & toss a dredge in the water. VERY expensive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vance in AK said:
Don't forget you will also need a claim/lease.... You don't just show up & toss a dredge in the water. VERY expensive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

East and west beach are recreational dredgeing areas 6" and smaller dredges

does anyone know where/s a good place to visit to look around for a potential turn key operation for sale or are you looking for a partner?

Last edited:
Last edited:
G1 I recon all the best things start with crazy!
I have been looking at working a inland claim now. there’s been some great offers on turn key mines, Thing is, I will have to test the ground before I could commit to buy and the distance and time are against me.
Nome is a high risk logistical nightmare to get men and machines to, so it does seem a bridge too far. I don’t suppose you own a G6 so you could give us a lift out there? Mate ! cheers rob/

Nope barley own the close on my back!:)

I'm personally have doubts about it .
Just with thru a story where couple guys did just what im thinking of and they barley pulled 5 oz during the season.
I can get close to a oz a day near home ,some better some worse and they did about the same there .
I'd like to think I could do better but it's just me thinking and adding the cost of putting boat and boots of the ground sure makes me wonder.
I'm not giving up yet but ill sure investigate more befor setting sail !

I think Nome holds some pretty nasty reality checks for the inexperienced and underfunded.

but you never know till you try, good luck and try to get some time on a dredge first.

Cheers Vance the info is just what i needed without going from pillow to post. its good to see people helping to make my dream come true! thanx guys!

to any of you thinking about Nome and have questions I will try to help if possible. I have been there for 5 years and know a little about the place and mining conditions off shore

artic gold said:
to any of you thinking about Nome and have questions I will try to help if possible. I have been there for 5 years and know a little about the place and mining conditions off shore

How difficult is it to find a place to anchor up in th harbor during storms?
Also what about winter storage ? For a boat and dredge?
Thanks

There is always a place to get in the harbor, gets a little tight and double stacked in real rough weather but it all works out. Still room on snake river for a lot of small rigs. They may start working on the expansion this summer. It will get a lot better. Storage is no problem in the city yard. Think you can put a connex up there still. Most of the time you can also buy an empty container from Norther or Alaska Logistics Cheap rent year round. The worst part about the trip is descent housing at an affordable price and transportation. Start early if you want to find something because it will be full. Tents can be used as seen on the show. Its not as bad as it looks on the show. Some very good guys up there also. You can get a lot of help from them. Great great place to come and see and you will have a good time if you stay out of the bars. Check out on the web Nome Announcement. A lot of locals use it to buy, sell and bull shitt on

artic gold said:
There is always a place to get in the harbor, gets a little tight and double stacked in real rough weather but it all works out. Still room on snake river for a lot of small rigs. They may start working on the expansion this summer. It will get a lot better. Storage is no problem in the city yard. Think you can put a connex up there still. Most of the time you can also buy an empty container from Norther or Alaska Logistics Cheap rent year round. The worst part about the trip is descent housing at an affordable price and transportation. Start early if you want to find something because it will be full. Tents can be used as seen on the show. Its not as bad as it looks on the show. Some very good guys up there also. You can get a lot of help from them. Great great place to come and see and you will have a good time if you stay out of the bars. Check out on the web Nome Announcement. A lot of locals use it to buy, sell and bull shitt on

Thanks for the info ! And no worry on the bars I'm not a drinker can't hardly get 1beer down in a years time .. Just don't see the fun in it.
My bigest problem is would be getting off the bottom long enought to eat .... I love diving and dredging just adds fuel to the fire...
Ill stay down all day now most of the folks I dredge with think I'm nuts .but there's just so,ething special about it... Too me any way..
Thou a comm system may ruin that .
Gary

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back