Located CW camp and need advice please

bajagodiva

Jan 31, 2007
I have located what I believe to be a CW camp. I am 99% sure it was used by the confederates and 99% sure it has never been searched. It is a large area, complete with what I believe to be are earthworks. An old barn and home are located there as well. I know for a fact that the home, barn, well, and several outbuildings date back to the early 1800's. The land and buildings have been in the same family all these years. Part of the story I heard as a child was that a confederate general stayed in the home for awhile. I have researched the area extensively and belive the story to be factual for the most part. I know the current caretaker of the land and the possibility of me or anyone else being able to search the area is about nil. I don't know how to locate the current owner, plus I live several states away. What I would like to know is what do I do with my knowledge of this location? Is there a way to contact "professionals" in this field so that the land and artifacts are preserved for future generations? If thats not a wise move to make, what would be the best thing for me to do? If you located such a site, what would you do? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I am losing entirely too much sleep lately. Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0
My 2 cents
I would look up the owner of the property- perhaps tax records would help. I imagine the neighbors would know also. There might be hostility toward MDers because of past illegal searching. There probably have been others aware of the properties potential as MDing for relics was extremely popular 40 years ago.

What I have done in the past is to talk to the landowner from a historical perspective. I show him all my research and discuss the history of his property-actually easy as I love history. In all cases I make sure to give him my research-I bring copies. Sometimes this 'gift' is enough to melt an old codgers heart. If the landowner still refuses well life is tough. I also have been known to mail him additional research I have found -with my address and phone number.

It is important you are honest with the landowner and ensure him that you will cause no damage to the property. I am always honest. Making up a ruse may quickly backfire as a lot of people may have researched this site decades ago and tried to detect the property. I usually leave some relics for the owner too.

This is just what I would do and certainly others would have different approaches.

George

Well, my experience has been if there are earthworks, it has been hunted. If you can see the earthworks, trenches, hut depressions, etc, don't you think someone else has seen them in the past 40 years since detectors came on the market ? I am sure it isn't hunted out, but a virgin area like that is about nil anymore.

Thanks for the replies.

The reason I said I was 99% sure it hadn't been searched is because I personally know the caretaker and he has lived there for 30+ years. Before that, an elderly lady, a descendant of the original owner lived there. I have personal knowledge of this location, plus research to back up my beliefs. Before I made the CW connection, I sought permission from the caretaker to MD on the property after finding a buffalo nickel and an old inkwell in the backyard of the main house. My family was visiting the caretaker and I was just outside walking around when I found them. As far as the caretaker goes...from my experience, he is hostile to everyone for everything.

I honestly believe it is a virgin area. Perhaps if I can locate the current owner, there might be a slim chance of searching it. Basically what I'm wondering is...if I can't get permission to search it, should I just forget about it and wish the next person luck or try to persue other avenues? If there are any other avenues to persue??

bajagodiva said:
I honestly believe it is a virgin area. Perhaps if I can locate the current owner, there might be a slim chance of searching it. Basically what I'm wondering is...if I can't get permission to search it, should I just forget about it and wish the next person luck or try to persue other avenues? If there are any other avenues to persue??

If you can't get permission now, then sit on it. Don't talk about it to friends, don't do anything but research it for yourself. Eventually the land will change hands or be sold to developers, and then maybe your luck will run better.
Of course, if its sold to developers and you still can't get legal permission to hunt it, well, sometimes a flashlight becomes your best friend...
If you don't feel comfortable with that, then turn the site over to the state archies and at least let them salvage whatever they can before it becomes some rich guys swimming pool.

I understand you do not want to let the location out but what state is it is, there are ways of finding out. And believe me there are still virgin areas, I know. I'm in Missouri can I help with a little research? Good Luck

If the site is anywhere close to Northern VA, I'll help you check the place out!!

;D

ok two things.1 i dont understand why the civil war people would just drop stuff and leave it lying around.and 2 if it does become some guys swiming pool then md it after they dig the whole.i mded my pool before the cement truck came and found an indian hatchet.

Well, different things happened back then so that we can find things today. While in battle items would be dropped while trying to load weapons while being fired upon (understandably). Being blown up in battle could scatter items. Also, battles were fought in muddy fields where items, once dropped, were pretty much lost. Living in camps where after a rain would also become muddy would have the same effect. Soldiers also threw away broken items like a buckle with a broken puppy paw. It's just like you or I loosing a button today. You don't notice a button falling off most of the time, it just happens. Same thing back then. Hope this helps a little.

When a body is laying there in the mud dead I would imagine all kinds of things would fall from his person and uniorm. Also, after the battle it wasn't unusual for scavangers to pick over the dead bodies in the dark and toss anything that didn't appear to have any value. These same items we call artifacts. Monty

jhunter said:
ok two things.1 i dont understand why the civil war people would just drop stuff and leave it lying around.and 2 if it does become some guys swiming pool then md it after they dig the whole.i mded my pool before the cement truck came and found an indian hatchet.

They didn't live in a nice house where if a button popped off, or you dropped something smallish, you could spot it on the rug. They were gathered around fires or huts, with not much to do. They shot thier guns for fun and practice, played dice and cards, molded bullets over the fire, and had scuffles like men will do when gathered together and bored. You would be suprised how much stuff got dropped and left behind. In the huts, they would toss all the trash in the corner before they left and bury it up to get rid of it. 140 year old trash is treasure today.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back