Local High School gives up another Silver Dollar

yardgoat

May 15, 2015
Salmon, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, MX Sport
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The local High School which sits on the old early 1900's fair grounds gave me my second silver dollar ( The first being a toasted 1929 Peace Dollar found a year or two ago), This one is a 1897 O. Using my 13" coil and going slow I got a jumpy 87 to 90 signal, and then couldn't get a pinpoint with my detector. Finally after going several directions I got a pinpoint at 8", digging an ever expanding plug I found that the coin was on edge and of coarse I did manage to hit it with my digger. But hey made my day. Happy hunting everybody.. P7030026.JPG P7030023.JPGP7030024.JPGP7030025.JPG

Upvote 40
Wow! Congrats! Those Morgan dollars are BIG coins :occasion14:

Very, very cool!

It’s hard not to hit a coin that big. Awesome hit!

Way to go on a silver dollar. Heck ya! Gotta love letting those big suckers see the light of day again

Lots of detail left on that one, plus Miss Liberty's face is not all bashed up. I've got uncirculated Morgans that have more face damage than your coin. Nice one! Gary

Congrats on the Morgan. They are one nice coin to see coming out of the hole.

Awesome find!! I've yet to dig an 1800's Dollar so that's a bucket lister for me. Congrats!!

I have found many silver half dollars in my time but never a silver dollar. Congrats!

That is a real accomplishment. Two silver dollars in a couple of years. I've been at it for 45 plus years and no silver dollars. Congrats.

Nice work yardgoat! Many happy returns!

The local High School which sits on the old early 1900's fair grounds gave me my second silver dollar ( The first being a toasted 1929 Peace Dollar found a year or two ago), This one is a 1897 O. Using my 13" coil and going slow I got a jumpy 87 to 90 signal, and then couldn't get a pinpoint with my detector. Finally after going several directions I got a pinpoint at 8", digging an ever expanding plug I found that the coin was on edge and of coarse I did manage to hit it with my digger. But hey made my day. Happy hunting everybody..View attachment 1729299 View attachment 1729300View attachment 1729301View attachment 1729302

Big congrats on the silver dollar find. Are you sure about the Peace Dollar being a 1929? They didn't mint any that year.

Good going on that big ol gob of silver

Very nice find, congrats on the big silver! :icon_thumleft:

Wow that is a special find! I've been lucky enough to find a morgan. Great coin and I love the artwork on it! Congrats!

Clad2silver, Your right it's a 1927, it's toasted and hard to read. Thanks for the info.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back