Live Ammo!!! what to do

Strukartel

Jan 2, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this old live 303 shell in Robe SA area active around 1850's not sure to clean or not as not sure how stable it is???? Bull 3.jpgBull 2.jpgBull 1.jpgBull 4.jpg

Clean it all you want..just don't punch that primer with
anything.

They used modern powder, not black powder, so it's not just
going to blow up on you.

Also, if it's been in the ground the odds are high that powder has
been wet for awhile. If you shake it can you hear the powder
in the casing?

Upvote 0
If this isn't something you want to keep, you can take it to any local gun range and hand it to the range officer.
They'll have a bucket where they keep damaged ammunition for periodic disposal and recycling.

As long as the round is not chambered in a firearm, it is not nearly as destructive as many folks might imagine.
Still capable of doing some damage, but not like you see on TV. Handle with care.

Upvote 0
Gun powder is not like dynamite, it's not going to become unstable and explode. If you shake it and hear loose powder inside, it's likely still good, if not the powder has been wet and is dead.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Excellent video. So many people have unreasonable fear of ammunition, this video should help them calm those fears. It really hurt me to the core to watch them destroy all that ammo, grinding it up with a cat, I'm thinking, let me have it, I'll shoot it.

Upvote 0
20$ says it's wet and won't fire!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Upvote 0
Good video, but those rounds were fired with the primer. When a round in a fire explodes the bullet doesn't go anywhere but the case pops off. I'm with BosnMate, next time they waste ammo, call us!! Tony

Upvote 0
Choot it, choot it.

Upvote 0
I have a 44 & a 45-70 shell , both Are intact and came out of the ground .I used steel wool to clean them up and they have been in the show case for about 25 years, with no problems

Upvote 0
56 should be the year it was made , not sure what the 7 represents , MF stands for the , small arms factory no 1 Footcrays Australia. I typed in head stamp codes and found cartridge collectors.org

Upvote 0
Don't waste it! Save it for your next campfire. Scares the bageezus out of tenderfoots!:headbang:

Upvote 0
56 should be the year it was made , not sure what the 7 represents , MF stands for the , small arms factory no 1 Footcrays Australia. I typed in head stamp codes and found cartridge collectors.org

The 7 I believe means it's a ball round loaded with cordite.

Like the others have said, it's not going to go off unless you mash it with a hammer or pitch it in a fire. Those old .303's you can pull the slug with pliers (wrap it with tape to avoid marking it up) dump the powder and put a bit of oil in the cartridge to kill the primer, then pop the slug back in with a drop of super glue if you want to inert it, but I wouldn't bother. If you are worried about having it around, find a nice deep body of water and toss it in.

Upvote 0
i found a bag of live 45cal round in a hole under a rock,i left them years ago.i mite go, back and check on them.but i will still leave them.i also have found like 20mm and left them. brad

Upvote 0
Why? If they're not in a gun they're basicly harmless. Tony
i found a bag of live 45cal round in a hole under a rock,i left them years ago.i mite go, back and check on them.but i will still leave them.i also have found like 20mm and left them. brad

Upvote 0
It's not dynamite it's not dangerous. Clean it up put it in a case and let it ride. No danger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back