IMG_1831.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 62
  • IMG_1829.jpeg
    IMG_1829.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 53
  • IMG_1828.jpeg
    IMG_1828.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 87
I was thinking Hermes also with the winged helmet I just can't figure out what is in his hand it is not the Caduceus which is what is normally in his hand.

Upvote 1
In the hand next to the leg it looks like a (wine) bottlle or maybe trumpet. No idea what is in the hand over his head..

Upvote 0
Tough one. The helmet looks familiar. I’m not positive those are wings on the helmet. Hermes had winged feet as well. The figure doesn’t. The bottle and cup would suggest Bacchus, but the figure doesn’t resemble any Bacchus I’ve seen. Great find!

Upvote 0
interesting find on the statuette, or whatever it is. I would be pretty sure it depicts the Roman god Mercury, who has parallels with the Greek god Hermes. They share certain aspects of symbolism, including a winged hat (petasus for Romans or petasos for Greeks), a short cloak draped over one shoulder (chlamys for Romans or khlamus for Greeks), winged sandals (talaria for Romans or ptenopedilos for Greeks) and a staff/wand that may have entwined snakes (caduceus for Romans or karykeion for Greeks).

Here there’s no caduceus or talaria, but they aren’t always present, depending on the intended symbolism. Although the two gods have shared/borrowed iconography, for the ancient Greeks, Hermes was the herald or messenger of the gods and guide to the underworld (but also with associations to travellers, thieves, merchants, and orators); for the Romans, Mercury was principally the god of commerce and financial gain (but also with associations to travellers, messages/communication and other disciplines). The “Mercury” name probably has its roots in the Latin words “merx” (merchandise), “mercari” (to trade), and “merces” (wages). For those reasons, Mercury is often depicted with a purse or money bag in one hand; Hermes usually not.

I beieve that what looks like a small flask in the figure’s left hand is the purse or money bag usually associated with Mercury, as in the representations below.

Mercury.jpg

I have no idea what is in the figure’s other hand, except that it isn’t any of the usual items associated with Mercury (or Hermes)… nor any idea how old the item might be or what it was for, unless simply decorative.

ADDITION: Car hood ornament? Clock finial?

Last edited:
Upvote 2
Is the 4th photo item a section of a wood stove top?
yes thats what it looked like to me none of the house is still standing or wood found I did find lots of brick in the ground.from the different location of brick piles looks like the house had more then one chimney this is the same location I found the nesting cup wieght last week.Im pretty sure there was a house there late 1800 put I think there was another house there earlier

Upvote 0
yes thats what it looked like to me none of the house is still standing or wood found I did find lots of brick in the ground.from the different location of brick piles looks like the house had more then one chimney this is the same location I found the nesting cup wieght last week.Im pretty sure there was a house there late 1800 put I think there was another house there earlier
Here is a pic about 50 yards from the house I’m questing it was an ice cellar I’m not sure seems a little big for that

Attachments

• IMG_1827.jpeg
    IMG_1827.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 17
Upvote 0
Here is a pic about 50 yards from the house I’m questing it was an ice cellar I’m not sure seems a little big for that
Here are a couple more pics looks like some floppy ear hat on his head definitely not wings

Attachments

• IMG_1836.jpeg
    IMG_1836.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1841.jpeg
    IMG_1841.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1839.jpeg
    IMG_1839.jpeg
    989.2 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1840.jpeg
    IMG_1840.jpeg
    985.1 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1838.jpeg
    IMG_1838.jpeg
    969.8 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1837.jpeg
    IMG_1837.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 19
Upvote 0
Here are a couple more pics looks like some floppy ear hat on his head definitely not wings

Thanks for the additional pics. I still see it as a depiction of Mercury with a winged petasus. The wings are often more obviously so and larger on depictions of Hermes, but may be small, stunted and flap-like on depictions of Mercury.

Mercury2.jpg

Mercury3.jpg

Mercury4.jpg

Upvote 0
thanks red coat i have to agree been looking on the net and I cant find that exact one but looks like hermes mercury to me cleaned it up and took a closer look i think its bronze thanks for the help the base of the ball he is standing on is threaded.think when i go back out there ill pick up an old rock or stone and make a base for it if i dont find it

Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back