Little decanter of sorts....help!!

Norma

Mar 8, 2019
Shelton WA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This little corked figure is porcelain, about 6" tall, some makers mark or impression on bottom. Picked it up my deceased friend's estate sale.. Have never seen anything like it. IMG-0017.JPGIMG-0015.JPGIMG-0020.JPG

tn_md.gif
1st - I noticed this was your very first post - so, Welcome Aboard Norma! You didn't list your state (or country) in your profile. So, you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forum: Select Your Area.... and selecting location information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country).

tn_metal_detector.gif
2nd - That is one weird decanter! Looking forward to a member ID'ng it.

Upvote 0
Hi Norma, welcome to Tnet from Toronto! :hello:
Unfortunately, your picture of the makers mark on the base isn't clear, otherwise I'd be able to more accurately identify your ceramic bottle.

These were novelty bottles produced for years from the early 1900's to be displayed in either public or private bars.
If I was to hazard a guess, I would say your piece was Made in England in the 1950s.

Cheers,
Dave

Attachments

• IMG-0015-crop.JPG
    IMG-0015-crop.JPG
    715 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi Norma, welcome to Tnet from Toronto! :hello:
Unfortunately, your picture of the makers mark on the base isn't clear, otherwise I'd be able to more accurately identify your ceramic bottle.

These were novelty bottles produced for years from the early 1900's to be displayed in either public or private bars.
If I was to hazard a guess, I would say your piece was Made in England in the 1950s.

Cheers,
Dave

... and here I thought it was a modern politician with the "Pinocchio Effect!" :laughing7:

Upvote 0
... and here I thought it was a modern politician with the "Pinocchio Effect!" :laughing7:

My first thought was a caricature of Winston Churchill, he was known to be a prolific drinker. :icon_scratch:

Attachments

• Winston-Churchill-Wallpapers-Gallery-winston-churchill-41542102-1920-1080-crop.jpg
    Winston-Churchill-Wallpapers-Gallery-winston-churchill-41542102-1920-1080-crop.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 52
Upvote 0
First of all, Welcome to TNET !!

Very nice piece. I wouldn't mind having one of those myself. :)
The cork in the nose suggests that this holds a liquid, possibly olive oil, vinegar, coffee creamer, or something like that. (?)

Upvote 0
That's sure to have a "snoot" full...

and​ Welcome to TreasureNet

Upvote 0
Thats a cool piece can you take another pic of the bottom.

Upvote 0
My first thought was a caricature of Winston Churchill, he was known to be a prolific drinker. :icon_scratch:

One of the best quotes attributed to him came when a "Lady" got after him for being drunk. She said "Winney you are drunk". And his reply "Yes Lady xxxx, and you are ugly. But I shall be sober in the morning."

Upvote 0
Thank you all for the welcome. I am from Shelton, Washington... A small town about 20 miles from the state capitol Olympia. The maker marks are really hard to see. I used some blush to darken the area and it showed up a bit better.. I see a little 40 in the bottom corner and the mark looks like a sun with an umbrella underneath or a simple figure of a girl?? He's a little guy... I posted more pics..IMG-0037.JPGIMG-0034.JPGIMG-0033.JPG

Upvote 0
What you have is a Whiskey Nipper.
Most were imported from Germany.
Your makers mark may be hard to trace.
They were given out in local pubs as advertising for their establishment.
Most had the place of business stamped on them somewhere.
They came is a huge array of shapes and characters and are very collectable.
Here is a quick sample from the innerweb...

Attachments

• Nipper9.jpg
    Nipper9.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 49
  • Nipper17.jpg
    Nipper17.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 51
Upvote 0
What you have is a Whiskey Nipper.
Most were imported from Germany.
Your makers mark may be hard to trace.
They were given out in local pubs as advertising for their establishment.
Most had the place of business stamped on them somewhere.
They came is a huge array of shapes and characters and are very collectable.
Here is a quick sample from the innerweb...

Nice ID, HuntinDog !

Nip.jpg

Upvote 0
Thank you so much... the picture you found was awesome! Is this from the 50's? I have some more finds that I cannot find anything about. I will post those soon... I am so happy I stumbled upon this site.... Will try to navigate around a bit more..

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back