Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

Attachments

• DSC08595.JPG
    DSC08595.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 93
Look like rear sights; but they're pretty rough and rugged. Presumably the dovetail was worked down from the rough-cast pieces you have. That would be into the barrel bore if set flush.
armstrong-longrifle-flint-parts-list_8.jpg

Or, they might have nothing at all to do with firearms and it's just coincidental and of a similar shape. Look like something that fits in a dovetail, though.

Attachments

• rs-dru-1_1.jpg
    rs-dru-1_1.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
Upvote 0
it looks to me as if the one side of each one has been broken off...

Upvote 0
no, just slightly convex and not flat...

Upvote 0
As a scrap dealer, I see these (or something quite similar) pretty often, but for the life of me, I can't remember which customers bring them in. I'm thinking some type of electrical tab that has to be twisted off. I've looked around on the floor out here but didn't see one. I'll think on this a bit.

Upvote 0
for a odd reason is possible to be a crude cannon sight ?

Upvote 0
these too are found in the same place..

Attachments

• DSC08596.JPG
    DSC08596.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 70
Upvote 0
these too are found with the others...

Attachments

• DSC08597.JPG
    DSC08597.JPG
    998.1 KB · Views: 69
Upvote 0
Ok, they're pieces that make up a commutator on an armature. I can't find an exploded view to post, but here's where you'll find them. The dove tails will be to the inside. The visible part is what spins around on the brushes.
armature_commutator.gif

Upvote 0
holy crap! to a what?! any possibility from a early 50's Ford engine or such? I find those pieces on the beach too...

Upvote 0
Yup I use to work in a rewind shop, they are commutator pieces! When used armatures come in the comms get cut off and they fall into pieces followed by chopping of the field windings or hairpins :) I use to rewind Stators by hand

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back