little copper item from Spanish shipwreck

IndianRiverSonrise

Jun 16, 2007
Detector(s) used
Various
Found the following items at a Spanish wreck site. Just occured to me to see if anyone had any ideas what the copper item might be. Not much to go on really. Wasn't even going to ask, but then I thought somebody might have seen something very similar or might have a good idea what it is. The cobs are about dime size... certainly no bigger.

cobss.jpg

Nice cobs!! Maybe Grubby or some of the other Spanish gold hunters could help.

Upvote 0
packerbacker said:
Wish I could help but can't. What are cobs......coins?

Yes. They're old crudely made coins. These particular ones are silver and probably made 1715 and earlier.

Upvote 0
could be a religous medal from 1700s some times they look kinda like that made of copper and brass .see if you can clean it up and show us again. thanks

Upvote 0
RELICDUDE07 said:
could be a religous medal from 1700s some times they look kinda like that made of copper and brass .see if you can clean it up and show us again. thanks

Yes. Will definitely have to clean it up now. I thought about the possibility of a religious metal at one point but never really considered the possibility of it being a copper coin.
Thanks guys.

Upvote 0
when you do send me some pics? i have found 1 from the 1700s mine has roma on the back and sr - cr -ti- fo on the front?i think means st.christopher?it looks like brass /dug it in a trashy site/ . good luck.i want to see if it looks like this one a little ?

Upvote 0
Post those cobs in the "Spanish Cobs" section and they will be identified. Recent find?

Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
Post those cobs in the "Spanish Cobs" section and they will be identified. Recent find?

I think its been about a week or two now since I found the cobs.

i've started to clean the copper. I didn't do it before because I thought it was probably something that had a screw or something through it to attach it to something else, and the attachment was the reason for the lump of corrosion in the middle and I didn't think there was probably much else to see anyhow. Since I started thinking it might be a coin or medal, I decided to take a shot at cleaning it.

Cleaning has begun on the medal and detail is emerging. I was wrong. It appears to be a religious medal. I can begin to make out the outline of a person that looks like a monk or priest and another person kneeling with head bowed. The back has a lot of writing on it, but I can only so far make out a few letters.

Upvote 0
you look like you have a great hunting spot look it really good like 50 more times many people give up on sites to soon ?i have done it a few times dont find something that day so dont go back for a year, and then the next time jackpot, it happens to me , you think its all gone?go back go all around and go deeper and i bet you will find more coins and medals. man see what you started ? i got to go back to one of my old spots and treasure hunt now.

Upvote 0
RELICDUDE07 said:
you look like you have a great hunting spot look it really good like 50 more times many people give up on sites to soon ?i have done it a few times dont find something that day so dont go back for a year, and then the next time jackpot, it happens to me , you think its all gone?go back go all around and go deeper and i bet you will find more coins and medals. man see what you started ? i got to go back to one of my old spots and treasure hunt now.
I used to do contract work in Pensacola and took my detector with me when I went there. Had many good hunts up there. I remember doing the beach one time up there in the snow.

Upvote 0
RELICDUDE07 said:
YOU SURE IT WAS SNOW AND NOT WHITE SAND? HA/ IT HAS SNOWED HERE TWICE IN ABOUT 25 YRS. I HAVE ONLY LOOKED THE BCH 1 TIME. IT SEEMS SO HARD TO FIND ANY OLD STUFF.DID YOU FIND ANY THING GOOD? I LIKE THE OLD PART OF TOWN SO MUCH JUNK TO DIG. IT CAN KEEP YOU BUSY FOR YEARS? ITS LIKE JUNK /JUNK/ JUNK/ BOTTLE / GOOD COIN / JUNK/ GREAT TARGET/ BOTTLE /JUNK /BUTTON .I LOVE IT /GOOD LUCK ON YOUR COBS UP ON THE RIVER I HAD FISH THAT RIVER WHEN I LIVED IN DAYTONA BCH. CAUGHT 2 REDFISH WHERE YOU FOUND THEM COBS AND A CROAKER WHEREYOU FOUND THE RELIGOUS MEDAL ?? DID FIND THIS IN PENS.MIXED IN WITH THAT JUNK STUFF.

Nice piece of eight.

It was snow, and it was probably or more years ago. Found some modern era silver coins on the beach that night. Did well to keep my fingers from falling off. Didn't only hunt the beaches though. From Perdido to Gulf Breeze to what was that lake, Ryerson or something like that, to Milton. Detected various places on different trips up there. Good number of modern gold rings. Relics over in Milton and downtown. Went to some bayous, inlets or lakes. A cotton mouth or some type of water snake took exception to my presence at one place. Some inlet near the entrance to the Naval Air Station. That one is foggiest in my memory. Anyhow it was fun and I can remember some of those spots like yesterday.

Upvote 0
RELICDUDE07 said:
o.k.it should be clean by now i just got to see that medal post us a pic?

Actually I ran into something I didn't expect. Under the encrusted part I found silver and my cleaning method was removing a little of the silver so I stopped. Maybe will restart it using a different method in the near future.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back