Attachments

• image-1651450698.jpg
    image-1651450698.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 83
  • image-4021231018.jpg
    image-4021231018.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 72
Added another photo.

I've never seen anything like it. But since you asked for my opinion, and said it is about 1 inch long, I'll tell you what little I can about it.

One part of it does indicate it is some type of buckle. The bar at its open end has a notch which resembles what we see on some 20th Century strap-buckles, to keep the buckle tongue's attachment-loop at the exact center of the bar, preventing the tongue from sliding over to the bar's corner. A slightly different example of that is shown in the photo below (which is a 20th Century buckle).

But, I cannot figure out the purpose of having the other half the buckle's body be a solid (not open) square.

The only other example I've seen of a buckle with a raised football-shaped emblem on it isn't actually a buckle, but instead is a horseharness strap buckle-shield (also called a buckle-cover). One with the raised football-shaped emblem is visible in the group in the other photo below. So, I might've guessed your find is some kind of horseharness strap buckle... but being only 1-inch long and 1/2-inch wide, it seems much too small to be horsegear-related.

Attachments

• buckle_centering-flanges-on-middle-bar_TN.jpg
    buckle_centering-flanges-on-middle-bar_TN.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 54
  • horsegear_buckle-shield_1892-Patented_group_TN_photobyDeftone.jpg
    horsegear_buckle-shield_1892-Patented_group_TN_photobyDeftone.jpg
    236.3 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Upvote 0
I've never seen anything like it. But since you asked for my opinion, and said it is about 1 inch long, I'll tell you what little I can about it.

One part of it does indicate it is some type of buckle. The bar at its open end has a notch which resembles what we see on some 20th Century strap-buckles, to keep the buckle tongue's attachment-loop at the exact center of the bar, preventing the tongue from sliding over to the bar's corner. A slightly different example of that is shown in the photo below (which is a 20th Century buckle).

But, I cannot figure out the purpose of having the other half the buckle's body be a solid (not open) square.

The only other example I've seen of a buckle with a raised football-shaped emblem on it isn't actually a buckle, but instead is a horseharness strap buckle-shield (also called a buckle-cover). One with the raised football-shaped emblem is visible in the group in the other photo below. So, I might've guessed your find is some kind of horseharness strap buckle... but being only 1-inch long and 1/2-inch wide, it seems much too small to be horsegear-related.

Thanks for your reply CG. The actually solid part of the buckle is an inch across but with the buckle part if it were not bent would be 2 and 1/4 inches long. Your picture isn't showing up below but I will Google buckle-shield and buckle-covers to see what I can find as well. I know I have seen the heart shaped buckles before that are hollow in the back like mine. Thanks for your opinion,always valued.

Upvote 0

Thanks for your reply CG. The actually solid part of the buckle is an inch across but with the buckle part if it were not bent would be 2 and 1/4 inches long. Your picture isn't showing up below but I will Google buckle-shield and buckle-covers to see what I can find as well. I know I have seen the heart shaped buckles before that are hollow in the back like mine. Thanks for your opinion,always valued. Edited to say I do see your picture now and yes,how odd that the buckle is not sturdy like the others depicted.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The photo's are kind of blurry, but could it be part of a suspender clasp?

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back