✅ SOLVED Lidded Glass Beer Mug. how old ya think?

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sure this would be described as a beer stein, so I'm gonna call it a glass mug with ceramic and pewter lid. I did find the glass mark being GS with crown as Saxony Glass. There is one similar on ebay saying this company was founded as Vereinigte Radeburger Glashütten A.G. in 1879, in Radeburg nr. Dresden. The cost was half of $2.99 and it was being sold on the day I picked it up at 50% off, so it was purchased for pretty much pocket change and for that price I felt its a true antique I could get for very little money. I'd like some options on how old this might be. My guess is first quarter of the 20th C., but it could be maybe as old as the late 19th C.? It doesn't really seem to be worth all that much, maybe because it isn't what you think of when you're thinking antique stoneware beer steins, that I think more collectors are drawn to.

Attachments

• 20200917_151209.jpg
    20200917_151209.jpg
    580 KB · Views: 53
  • 20200917_151234.jpg
    20200917_151234.jpg
    605.5 KB · Views: 84
  • 20200917_151306.jpg
    20200917_151306.jpg
    790.7 KB · Views: 51
  • 20200917_151337.jpg
    20200917_151337.jpg
    815.9 KB · Views: 89
  • 20200917_151406.jpg
    20200917_151406.jpg
    590.7 KB · Views: 47
  • 20200917_151425.jpg
    20200917_151425.jpg
    544.3 KB · Views: 55
Nicely decorated lid on that one.

It’s correct that Vereinigte Radeburger Glashütten A.G. was founded in Radeburg (near Dresden) in 1879, but it wasn’t until 1886 that they merged with Sächsischen Glasfabrik and adopted that name for trading purposes. That particular ‘SG crown’ mark for Sächsischen Glasfabrik wasn’t registered until 1889, so that’s the earliest date for your stein.

The company was renamed Sachsenglas A.G. Ottendorf-Okrilla in 1940 and, after the war, was nationalised as VEB Sachsenglas in 1946. The traditional design didn’t really change much, so it will be difficult to date… except to say it’s between 1889-1940. It’s just possible there might be additional touch marks somewhere on the pewter lid which narrow it down a bit more, but that’s a longshot.

Upvote 0
Nicely decorated lid on that one.

It’s correct that Vereinigte Radeburger Glashütten A.G. was founded in Radeburg (near Dresden) in 1879, but it wasn’t until 1886 that they merged with Sächsischen Glasfabrik and adopted that name for trading purposes. That particular ‘SG crown’ mark for Sächsischen Glasfabrik wasn’t registered until 1889, so that’s the earliest date for your stein.

The company was renamed Sachsenglas A.G. Ottendorf-Okrilla in 1940 and, after the war, was nationalised as VEB Sachsenglas in 1946. The traditional design didn’t really change much, so it will be difficult to date… except to say it’s between 1889-1940. It’s just possible there might be additional touch marks somewhere on the pewter lid which narrow it down a bit more, but that’s a longshot.
Well thank you Red Coat. I've not noticed any touch marks, but only what appears to be a personal monogram on the parameter of the lid. So I see your calling it a stein, as I wasn't really sure one could call it such. I might see what I can get for it online. It's not really the kind of thing I collect. I just couldn't pass on the price. The one similar on ebay has been up for sale for awhile at $15.00 meaning it isn't any kind of gotta have it item for collectors, but who knows as it is kinda pretty on the lid.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yes, it’s a pretty thing and whatever value it has will come from its decorative attractiveness rather than its antiquity or rarity.

‘Stein’ simply means ‘stone’ in German and was rarely used to describe beer mugs, which were more commonly referred to by terms such as krug, humpen or seidel. Stoneware/earthenware as a material traditionally used for beer mugs and other containers is known as steinzeug/steingut and a stoneware jug or mug as a steinkrug. The use of ‘stein’ to describe beer mugs probably arose as a contraction of those terms by non-German speakers, later popularised by American soldiers.

The exception is the use of the term ‘stein’ in the very western Rhineland area of Germany, where it specifically refers to a one litre glass beer mug. Glass wasn’t widely used for everyday beer mugs until after it was introduced at the 1892 Oktoberfest.

Outside Germany, ‘stein’ became widely used to refer to beer mugs made from stoneware, glass, pewter, porcelain, silver and even wood… especially for decorative and souvenir items in ‘Bavarian’ styles that were largely produced or sold outside Germany.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yes, it’s a pretty thing and whatever value it has will come from its decorative attractiveness rather than its antiquity or rarity.

‘Stein’ simply means ‘stone’ in German and was rarely used to describe beer mugs, which were more commonly referred to by terms such as krug, humpen or seidel. Stoneware/earthenware as a material traditionally used for beer mugs and other containers is known as steinzeug/steingut and a stoneware jug or mug as a steinkrug. The use of ‘stein’ to describe beer mugs probably arose as a contraction of those terms by non-German speakers, later popularised by American soldiers.

The exception is the use of the term ‘stein’ in the very western Rhineland area of Germany, where it specifically refers to a one litre glass beer mug. Glass wasn’t widely used for everyday beer mugs until after it was introduced at the 1892 Oktoberfest.

Outside Germany, ‘stein’ became widely used to refer to beer mugs made from stoneware, glass, pewter, porcelain, silver and even wood… especially for decorative and souvenir items in ‘Bavarian’ styles that were largely produced or sold outside Germany.

Then throw in Stiefel or Boot. Drank from many a Stiefel during my many years in Germany.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back