Legend a good choice?

jmc24

Feb 24, 2020
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom, Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Legend, XP Deus 2, FTP Tek Point, Garrott Carrot, Gold Hog River Sluices and Flow Pan, Royal Mini High Banker.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If Nokta has this supposedly great customer service, why won't they let you download the 1.10 beta 3 to use? I'm sure they still have that version stored somewhere. Not being able to revert back to a stable or preferred version would be a non-starter for me.
Software versions 1.05, 1.07, 1.09 and the latest 1.11 are all available to download on Nokta's website so people can revert back to a previous version if they want to using the Legend update installer. Previous Beta software versions are not available on their website.

Rob 183

Jul 22, 2009
Hamilton, OH.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You will end up finding that the threshold in the Gold mode on the Legend is the only beneficial threshold that the Legend utilizes, this is of course just my opinion

the threshold in park, field, and beach mode is totally different from the threshold in gold mode

the threshold in park,field and beach mode is a reference threshold, and the threshold in Gold Mode is a true threshold or live threshold and trust me there is a difference between the two thresholds being utilized in the Legend

if you are one like myself whom detects in all metal the threshold in park,field and beach modes is pretty much a mute point what the reference threshold does in those three modes is to alert you when you have swung over a target that you have notched out, so if you detect in all metal the threshold in park,field and beach mode is pretty much useless

the threshold in Gold mode is what most of us are accustomed to, and the gold mode is a threshold based mode, just like your Xterra was in gold mode

I also owned and still do the Xterra 705 which it took a good bit of patience to learn the Xterra 705s language, it took me almost two years for the light bulb to finally turn on when I was learning the Xterra 705 but when the Lights finally turned on the Xterra 705 became my favorite detector to use, the Xterra 705 was one of the most under rated detectors to have ever been produced and I still feel it is one of the most under rated detectors to have ever been produced still to this very day, I still use my Xterra 705 occasionally and it is one detector I will never part with because of its capabilities

the Legend can be as easy to learn and use as you want it to be, or as difficult to learn and use as you make it, with the factory default settings the Legend is pretty much a turn on and detect detector, and if Nokta ever straightens out the latest software version I feel it will be a force to be reckoned with, but not with the current software 1.11 it still has issues, in my opinion, and the reason I state this, is because I tested the 1.10 Beta test versions which were the pre cursor to 1.11 the 1.10 beta test version 3 is what the 1.11 version should have been but just before the 1.11 was released to us I feel something was changed in the final version just before release, if 1.10 Beta Test Version 3 would have been left alone then the Legend would be a fantastic detector, and it still can be a fantastic detector but Nokta is going to have to take a hard look at 1.11 and re adjust everything back to what I seen in 1.10 Beta test Version 3, before I will ever say the legend is fantastic to anyone or a finished product, and I am not the only one that feels this way, there are many many reports from Legend users that will tell you the same things I have just stated, and there are others that will tell you there is nothing wrong with the Legend, just like there are Equinox 600 and 800 users that will never admit that those two detectors had water leakage issues, I just happen to be one that calls things as I see them
My machine came with 1.09 and after many, and I mean many attempts, I loaded 1.11. In your opinion, until things get sorted out, would I be better off going back to 1.09? Thanks for any help you can offer.

OP
OP
B

Billinoregon

May 3, 2012
Sweetwater, TX
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Am I correct in assuming that there is a better chance of an issue with 1.11 if you try to load it onto an older machine vs. buying a brand-new Legend with 1.11 from the factory?

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
in the Tucson AZ area now
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Troy Shadow X5
Tesoro Vaquero
Simplex Plus
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
x2 quest X Pointer Max - my favorite
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Your Legends have a 3 year warranty. The detector behavior you are describing would definitely make me fill out a repair ticket on the Nokta USA Repair Center website.

I would also directly contact Dilek via private message over on DP or Friendly.
I have filled out a service request Jeff, about 3 weeks ago the only thing I have received back from Nokta is an acknowledgement that nokta has received my service request

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
in the Tucson AZ area now
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Troy Shadow X5
Tesoro Vaquero
Simplex Plus
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
x2 quest X Pointer Max - my favorite
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Am I correct in assuming that there is a better chance of an issue with 1.11 if you try to load it onto an older machine vs. buying a brand-new Legend with 1.11 from the factory?
I really cannot answer that

personally I feel the older version Legend are more susceptible to updating issues than the newer ones, and what I mean by this if you purchase a Legend that has say 1.09 I feel there is less of a chance of something going wrong when updating, then if you purchase a Legend that comes with say 1.04,1.05, or 1.07, I believe that the newer the Version you can purchase the Less chance there is of something messing up in the update process

Like I said in my earlier replies I really never seen any issues with either of my Legends until 1.11 was loaded on to both of them, yes I did have some issues with the first updates being a pain in the BUTT getting them to install
(that first updater tool was a pain for a lot of us) but nothing and I repeat nothing that was concerning to me at all until now since I updated to 1.11, and honestly I feel if Nokta would take a look at the 1.11 software with a fine tooth comb they could figure out what the issue is with 1.11 for some of us, it is not all Legends that are having an issue with 1.11 and yes there are probably some that it is user error but I will tell you it is not user error on my part, again 1.11 should have come out like 1.10 Beta test version 3 but it did not, at least for me and many others it did not, it could be a bad bord in some of the earllier Legends and really could be anything (I do not know)

like I said in an earlier reply I have tried everything from re installing 1.11 to reverting back to an older version like 1.09 and even 1.07 and then re installing 1.11 and yes I have performed a factory default reset each and every time except for when reverting to 1.07 and that is because the ability to perform a factory default reset was not available in 1.07 that ability was not added until 1.08 was released to us and 1.08 was quickly changed to 1.09 because of a few slight issues in 1.08, I have even went as far as purchasing a new PC to see if it was an issue with the previous 4 PCs that I have used but even that did not help, both of my Legends are still performing the same since installing 1.11

Like I also said in an earlier reply when I had 1.10 Beta test version 3 on my first Legend that I used to test that version I could not have asked for a detector to perform any better than that Legend performed and I honestly do not feel I could have asked for any more depth out of it on the ground I detect, that Legend on 1.10 Beta test Version 3 was hitting clad quarters at a solid 14 inches in air and below ground I was hitting a clad dime at 12-13 inches in the air and below ground, but since installing 1.11 that same Legend will not hit either of those coins at 4 inces and 4 inches is exagerating it because it is closer to 3 inches.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread