Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Was hunting a new area yesterday, an old roadside farmland clearing that has a gas pipeline easement running through it. Feels like lead to me, but I honestly :dontknow:

Quarter is for reference. First inclination is some sort of pipe or handle.

20130724_141307.jpg20130724_141226.jpg
20130724_141244.jpg20130724_141253.jpg

The hole does not go all the way through. It runs the length of the item (lt. blue) and stops (red).

lead whatsit.JPG

Upvote 0
Lead anchor. A hole drilled in the side of a building and the lead anchor taped in the hole. Then a bolt went through the sign and into the lead anchor. Crank the bolt into the lead anchor and the lead spreads out in the hole holding the sign tight to the building.

Upvote 0
Lead anchor. A hole drilled in the side of a building and the lead anchor taped in the hole. Then a bolt went through the sign and into the lead anchor. Crank the bolt into the lead anchor and the lead spreads out in the hole holding the sign tight to the building.

Ok. In what era were these used?

Upvote 0
Ok. In what era were these used?

I don't know about your lead anchor, but I use and have used various lead and other types expanding anchors in the past few months.

Upvote 0
I don't know about your lead anchor, but I use and have used various lead and other types expanding anchors in the past few months.

Ok, I've heard of and frequently use wall anchors myself but I've never heard of them being made of lead. Second, I found this in a field that, as far as I can tell, has never had a building on it (not that that means much, but still). Third, the site said early anchors were made of fibrous material or wood, not lead. Thoughts?

Upvote 0
All I can say is I've seen lead anchors in the brick of old buildings and in cement steps to anchor the steel hand railings. The site I gave you was wrong so I deleted it.

Upvote 0
All I can say is I've seen lead anchors in the brick of old buildings and in cement steps to anchor the steel hand railings. The site I gave you was wrong so I deleted it.

Ok. That's good enough for me. Thanks!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back