DSC_0036 (Copy).JPG
    313.5 KB · Views: 140
  • DSC_0038 (Copy).JPG
    DSC_0038 (Copy).JPG
    422.3 KB · Views: 162
  • DSC_0040 (Copy).JPG
    DSC_0040 (Copy).JPG
    452.7 KB · Views: 152
I might be seeing things, but when this is super-sized, it sure looks like a dump truck to the left ow the W

Upvote 0
I might be seeing things, but when this is super-sized, it sure looks like a dump truck to the left ow the W

I can't see a dump truck, but there is a design of some sort there.

Upvote 0
Could it have been part of a printing plate? Try pressing silly putty on it see what you get. HH
BK

Upvote 0
Could it have been part of a printing plate? Try pressing silly putty on it see what you get. HH
BK
But made of lead? Never saw any lead printing plate. I'll try to do a rubbing.

Upvote 0
Most likely part of printing plate
I've got many complete advertising plates from turn of the century I dug out an old road bed
They are lead or an alloy of mostly lead

Upvote 0
But made of lead? Never saw any lead printing plate. I'll try to do a rubbing.

Its a printing Plate, I have several and all made of Lead.

Lead is easy to melt down and reuse.

and ALL my plates look crude like this. Do a rubbing on it and see what it is

Also,remember its going to be backwards, so do a rubbing and look at in the mirror...lol...wow that didnt sound right:laughing7:

Upvote 0
I don't think it is a printing plate. The image is not reversed. The design to the left of the W is 3 letters with a "swoosh" through them. Possibly L-B-?

Attachments

• leadplateneg.jpg
    leadplateneg.jpg
    431.6 KB · Views: 107
Upvote 0
A tag for a underwater trap or trot-line. If you look closely (magnified), you can see a hook running through the LB, just to the left of the W. Then again. I could be smoking something.

Because the images are not reversed, and the presence of the hole top left, I do not believe it is a print plate.

TCK

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yeah I don't think it's reversed either. The rubbing didn't work well at all. Don't have photo shop anymore or I'd be messing with it.

Upvote 0
I think there is an L B to the left of he W.

Upvote 0
Cool find whatever it is!! hopefully you can get an ID on it soon...

Upvote 0
Another look.

Attachments

• DSC_0038 (2).JPG
    DSC_0038 (2).JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 102
  • DSC_0038 (3).JPG
    DSC_0038 (3).JPG
    260.3 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think it is a printing plate, I work with printing in a museum, and we have carved type metal (alloy of lead, tin, and antimony) christmas cards in the collection. The lead plate can be full type high or a thinner sheet backed up by a wooden block. Copper also is used, but this item is lead or lead alloy and could well be a printing plate. Advertizing copy was sent in papermache and the printer would pour melted lead into the mold to get the advertisement to print. If you look at the photo's with the hole to the top right or to the bottom left of the picture you can see all sorts of things that don't look like it is a tag related to fishing. I think it is just a very beat up printing plate. Take another look from the side.

Upvote 0
I tend to think its a tag as well. If it were a printing plate it would be reversed. Also seems to be a hole where it was attached to something in top right corner.

Upvote 0
on many of the lead or copper printing plates, they were 'tacked' to the wooden block to bring them up to the hight of normal type. I have many plates that no longer are attached to their wooden blocks and they have those holes.

Upvote 0
on many of the lead or copper printing plates, they were 'tacked' to the wooden block to bring them up to the hight of normal type. I have many plates that no longer are attached to their wooden blocks and they have those holes.
I understand hat they used lead alloy's and such, and that they were tacked to blocks. But ..... Would it not be reversed.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back